Is okay to keep a single male Black Molly?

CxN

Reaction score
Well planted and cycled. 20 gallon. Current residents: 5 peaceful Cherry barbs, 2 gentle honey gouramis and 3 cutest amano shrimps. :)

Would a single black molly be happy here? Always loved this gorgeous fish but I do not have space for more or their future gens.. hence the question.
In the future I can add them to another tank if I ended up moving to a bigger space. Any advice would mean a great deal. Thank you in advance! :=)

Naughts

Fish Herder
Reaction score
No, I don't think your tank is suitable.
Mollies are quite big fish (up to 12cm) and need a 90cm tank. They also need hard water. You don't say the GH / pH of your water but going by your current stock I assume that your water is softer than the 15-30DH that mollies need.
One other thing to bear in mind is that a single female livebearer can have fry if she has been in a tank with males. Mollies are capable of producing as many as 120 fry.

OP
C

CxN

Reaction score
No, I don't think your tank is suitable.
Mollies are quite big fish (up to 12cm) and need a 90cm tank. They also need hard water. You don't say the GH / pH of your water but going by your current stock I assume that your water is softer than the 15-30DH that mollies need.
One other thing to bear in mind is that a single female livebearer can have fry if she has been in a tank with males. Mollies are capable of producing as many as 120 fry.

Thank you for your reply. Your guess is spot on. I have a low ph (6.5) and soft water. I really wanted to add a black resident... would be a good addition to the colors in the tank now. I considered black rainbow shark but that too seemed unsuitable. Any other suggestions considering the current population?

Naughts

Fish Herder
Reaction score
OP
C

CxN

Reaction score
Amazing. Thanks a mil Naughts. I really loved BP Tetras. Cant have Corys (though I love them too) due to my rugged gravel substrate. Really appreciate the thoughtful suggestions.