The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

MylesVinno

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ā 
I have 3 pristella tetras in my tank and one of them is very large. I have had it for 4 weeks and it was like that when I bought it. Does anyone know if it is pregnant, fat or just bloated?Ā 
Ā 
Ā Here are some pictures:
Ā 
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l334/MylesVinno/IMG_0767_zpsnysnqsz0.jpgĀ 
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l334/MylesVinno/IMG_0770_zpsjbcn48aj.jpgĀ 
Ā 
Any help would be greatly appreciatedĀ 
fish.gif

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Ā 
I've had a look at your photo's and I suspect it's possibly a mix of all three. If it is a female it could be full of eggs, females also tend to be more 'rounded' than males, they also, from my observations of my own tetra's, tend to be greedier.Ā 
Ā 
For now (as you've only had them a short time) I would just monitor, feed lightly and wait to see what happens. If she's full of eggs she should release them at some point and then decrease a little in size.Ā 
Ā 
I have emperor tetra's and I can tell when the females are full of eggs just by looking at their tummy's - they also brighten in colour a little when they are ready to release them

Akasha72 said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Ā 
I've had a look at your photo's and I suspect it's possibly a mix of all three. If it is a female it could be full of eggs, females also tend to be more 'rounded' than males, they also, from my observations of my own tetra's, tend to be greedier.Ā 
Ā 
For now (as you've only had them a short time) I would just monitor, feed lightly and wait to see what happens. If she's full of eggs she should release them at some point and then decrease a little in size.Ā 
Ā 
I have emperor tetra's and I can tell when the females are full of eggs just by looking at their tummy's - they also brighten in colour a little when they are ready to release them
Ok thanks, I will feed he/she some peas tomorrow in case he/she is bloated, I will let you know how it goes.

peas will help if this is constipation. You could also try dipping their food in epsom salt - to do this you'll need epsom salt (magnesium sulphate) which you can buy cheaply from most pharmacies, a seperate vessel (a jug or similar) and plain tap water. Mix a tablespoon of epsom salt in about half a litre of water, mix it well until the salt has dissolved. Then add some fish food to your net and dip it a few times in the epsom salt water to get it coated. Then you can just feed the food to the fish.
Ā 
Never add epsom salt to the tank as it will mess up your tank parameters - the pH especially.Ā 
Ā 
You could keep going with this for up to 5 days. It works well for excess bacteria in the gut and/or constipation

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back