Is my guppy pregnant? It’s been 6 weeks

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fishphans

Reaction score
Hello!

My husband and I are fairly new to fish. We were gifted a female orange wagtail platy and we bought two female fancy guppies as companions in our 10 gallon tank. The yellow guppy was slightly bigger than the pink one when we got them, but they were both in an all female tank at the petstore. She has only gotten bigger ever since. We have had her now for about 40 days and no babies yet. She has a very large gravid spot. She is eating and swimming normally. Both fish colored up more since we got them so I am assuming she is happy and doing well in her tank. I noticed as of today that her back became more angled. Is she just about to give birth? Or could it be another problem like worms? At this point she would be probably 6-7 weeks pregnant. I read that they’re supposed to give birth by around 4 weeks. Any advice or info is appreciated. Thank you!!

Attachments

• C043ACD0-5930-42AF-99C5-99FC62B22441.jpeg
    C043ACD0-5930-42AF-99C5-99FC62B22441.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 39DCFA75-2FEC-4834-8D8D-36AA81D7F94E.jpeg
    39DCFA75-2FEC-4834-8D8D-36AA81D7F94E.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 9D57FDA0-B935-4166-AC97-F9B8726D51D1.jpeg
    9D57FDA0-B935-4166-AC97-F9B8726D51D1.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 65
She looks pretty fat so either has babies or a bad case of worms. If she doesn't give birth in the next 2 weeks, deworm all the fish. See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish.

Make sure there are lots of floating plants in the tank and try to keep the males away from her. If she is gravid (pregnant), she should drop them soon.

She's definitely pregnant. It just seems like the back is a bit bend but that has got to do with the weight of her belly and the stretchiness of the skin on the back when pregnant. The most stretchy part of the skin in around her belly area. Because on the back it doesn't stretch along that much in combination with the weight, the back will bend a bit.
A pregnancy of 6 weeks or a bit more is not abnormal. The average is 3-4 weeks. But circumstances can make a female wait longer before she'll drop her fry.

She's definitely pregnant. It just seems like the back is a bit bend but that has got to do with the weight of her belly and the stretchiness of the skin on the back when pregnant. The most stretchy part of the skin in around her belly area. Because on the back it doesn't stretch along that much in combination with the weight, the back will bend a bit.
A pregnancy of 6 weeks or a bit more is not abnormal. The average is 3-4 weeks. But circumstances can make a female wait longer before she'll drop her fry.
Well, it seems I should have waited one more day before posting. She just had babies!

Congrats!! :fish: :banana: How many?? and now you won't ever have to buy males to accompany them. and for feeding, you could easily feed crushed tropical flakes(almost powdery) a few times a day.
21 so far! We think she is done but waiting a few more hours. Luckily we got her into our breeder box before she had them in the tank!

Be careful handling her during the next 2 weeks. Do not lift her out of water. If you have to move her, scoop her out in a container of water and move her in the water.

Most reactions

Back