Is my fish pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Elv14

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Iā€™ve got two platy fish and ones recently developed a bump on its belly. I thought maybe itā€™a pregnant but as a new fish owner, I wasnā€™t too sure. I called the Pets at Home store I bought them from for help and they informed me that they indeed may be pregnant and I should check online to find out their gender to help me determine. I found this forum and believe you guys can help me.

Attachments

• 4991A8E3-DAD9-4D3E-A501-E9BFE695B111.jpeg
    4991A8E3-DAD9-4D3E-A501-E9BFE695B111.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 52
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I would say they are both boys. Male platies, swordtails, mollies and guppies have a long straight anal (bottom) fin called a gonopodium.

Female platies, swordtails, mollies and guppies have a fan or triangle shaped anal fin.

---------------------
The fat belly could be too much food or a growth inside. If the fish eats well and does a stringy white poop, it could be full of worms.

Monitor the fish and if it gets worse over time, it might be a tumour, there's no cure for that.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I would say they are both boys. Male platies, swordtails, mollies and guppies have a long straight anal (bottom) fin called a gonopodium.

Female platies, swordtails, mollies and guppies have a fan or triangle shaped anal fin.

---------------------
The fat belly could be too much food or a growth inside. If the fish eats well and does a stringy white poop, it could be full of worms.

Monitor the fish and if it gets worse over time, it might be a tumour, there's no cure for that.
Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I did notice long poop from the white fish (the one with the bump) stay attached to him/her and when I searched the internet, I read that it may be cause of constipation. However, then I saw that my other fish (black one) also has long poop stay attached which I thought was weird. Thatā€™s when I decided to ring up the store and they told me itā€™s fine and normal but the bump on the white fish maybe be due to pregnancy but with your reply, I am now curious to what the issue is. Iā€™ll make sure to keep an eye out to whether itā€™s white and if I can, Iā€™ll even get a picture and post it.

Coloured poop isn't an issue. Stringy white poop is.

If you want to read about stringy white poop in fish, check out the following link.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back