Is my filter system inadequate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'd look into getting an HOB or two for that tank

I'd look into getting an HOB or two for that tank
which is? 'Scuse my ignorance... no hang on I get it - a Hang On Back filter. Good idea - certainly cheaper than a canister filter, but then I wouldn't be able to have a lid at all, would I?

Last edited:
Hang
On
Back filters.....I'm a big fan of the AquaClears, I have 6 of them

Good idea - certainly cheaper than a canister filter, but then I wouldn't be able to have a lid at all, would I?
You certainly can have a lid, most glass lids on the market have a plastic strip on the back edge, that you can cut/notch out for equipment, cables, etc...or, if you are getting a plexi lid, just cut out the area(s) you need to fit a filter(s)

You certainly can have a lid, most glass lids on the market have a plastic strip on the back edge, that you can cut/notch out for equipment, cables, etc...or, if you are getting a plexi lid, just cut out the area(s) you need to fit a filter(s)
An example of the plastic strips, that attach to glass lids

An example of the plastic strips, that attach to glass lids
Food for thought. Only practical issue would be I'd have to move the tank further away from the wall to fit it in. Not a trivial exercise, especially since I levelled it very carefully...

But the other issue for me might be the noise. I'm an audio producer and I edit and mix in the same room where the tank is. I can hear the existing filter pump, and that's under water!

Food for thought. Only practical issue would be I'd have to move the tank further away from the wall to fit it in. Not a trivial exercise, especially since I levelled it very carefully...

But the other issue for me might be the noise. I'm an audio producer and I edit and mix in the same room where the tank is. I can hear the existing filter pump, and that's under water!
You wouldn't have to move the tank very far, but true, these filters aren't totally silent...quiet yes, silent no...

I'm a fan of Eheim Biopower filters - they are internals so you wouldn't need to move the tank.
They come in 3 different sizes.

I'm a fan of Eheim Biopower filters - they are internals so you wouldn't need to move the tank.
I had one of these filters, the only downside was the suction thing kept on slipping so in the end I put a flower pot in the tank for it to stand on.

Mine slips down during a water change or when the suckers go hard. One advantage to Eheim equipment is that replacement suckers are easily available - I always have some spares in the cupboard.

Thanks for the tip. Quite mixed reviews I've noticed though.

I've had mine for several years so it's possible the quality has gone downhill since I got mine. What are the points that the poor reviews pick out?

I had no issues with mine and only changed when I swapped to a bigger tank with an internal filter built in.

I've had mine for several years so it's possible the quality has gone downhill since I got mine. What are the points that the poor reviews pick out?
Well in fairness I was looking at reviews on Amazon, which is the home of unreasonable reviews. There were a couple of comments saying the thing broke, some saying it wouldn't stay stuck to the side of the tank, and some noting it had to be cleaned out frequently - which was the point of my original post.

What I was trying to figure out in this thread was whether I should expect to have to clean out my filters every 3 days or is mine a lousy filter product...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back