Is my betta permanently blind in one eye?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

YewBush

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My betta has popeye in one eye just under a week ago. Her eye is back to itā€™s normal size, but itā€™s still completely white and she does not seem to be able to see through it. I have one other fish in the tank, a Cory catfish, who she bites sometimes. This fish did not get popeye. I used BettaFix to treat the popeye. Is there anything I can do to help Coral, or is she permanently blind in that eye now?

Post a pic. Do large (75%) water changes every day for two weeks. It could be fungus growing on the eye.

Dont use bettafix in the future, while it is marketed for bettas it is actually really harmful to them. Bettas have a breathing organ call the labyrinth organ. Bettafix and melafix coat the surface of the water. Whe the betta goes up for air it breathes it in and it can coat the labyrinth, suffocating the betta :)

Post a pic. Do large (75%) water changes every day for two weeks. It could be fungus growing on the eye.

Dont use bettafix in the future, while it is marketed for bettas it is actually really harmful to them. Bettas have a breathing organ call the labyrinth organ. Bettafix and melafix coat the surface of the water. Whe the betta goes up for air it breathes it in and it can coat the labyrinth, suffocating the betta :)

Okay. I will not use BettaFix again then. Iā€™m glad I used less than the instructions told me to. Thank you for telling me that. Here are two pictures of her eye.
image.jpg
image.jpg

What sized tank is it? Popeye and fungus are usually caused by poor water quality. Hiw often do you do water changes and how much water do you change out each time?

If the betta is biting the corydoras you should rehome the corydoras. Corydoras are also a shoaling fish that need a group of 6+ to be healthy.

What sized tank is it? Popeye and fungus are usually caused by poor water quality. Hiw often do you do water changes and how much water do you change out each time?

If the betta is biting the corydoras you should rehome the corydoras. Corydoras are also a shoaling fish that need a group of 6+ to be healthy.

I was planning on rehoming Alabaster soon. Not only is Coral biting him, but sheā€™s gotten at least one injury since I got him, two if the popeye was an injury. I just need to find a place to put him. I do have a 10 gallon that isnā€™t being used right now. Would I be able to fit 6 Cory catfish in there?
Also, I could probably test the water, but I only have one strip left and it could be a dud, since the last one I tried to use was. Doing a 75% water change every day may be hard, since itā€™s a 20 gallon, so Iā€™d like to test the water first. I will try to do a water change today, though. I do not usually change the water, but the water evaporates pretty quickly. I do scrub the tank fairly often, though. Coral has never gotten sick until she got popeye, if that was due to the water and not an injury.
I forgot to mention that a few months ago, I caught her swimming with one fin. She had never gotten injured before I got Alabaster, so I think that maybe he flails around or something sometimes when she bites him.

I was planning on rehoming Alabaster soon. Not only is Coral biting him, but sheā€™s gotten at least one injury since I got him, two if the popeye was an injury. I just need to find a place to put him. I do have a 10 gallon that isnā€™t being used right now. Would I be able to fit 6 Cory catfish in there?
Also, I could probably test the water, but I only have one strip left and it could be a dud, since the last one I tried to use was. Doing a 75% water change every day may be hard, since itā€™s a 20 gallon, so Iā€™d like to test the water first. I will try to do a water change today, though. I do not usually change the water, but the water evaporates pretty quickly. I do scrub the tank fairly often, though. Coral has never gotten sick until she got popeye, if that was due to the water and not an injury.
I forgot to mention that a few months ago, I caught her swimming with one fin. She had never gotten injured before I got Alabaster, so I think that maybe he flails around or something sometimes when she bites him.
I would do this: do the 75% water change now.
Set up and cycle the 10 gallon. Then move the betta to the ten gallon.

Then you can use the 20 for the corydoras. A 10 gallon is plenty big for the betta but too small for the corydoras.

Keep in mind that corydoras need a sand substrate as well. Get 5 more of the same type of cory.

Water changes are crucial. Just replacing the water will not do. This is most likely what caused the popeye and fungus. Do a 75% water change every day for two weeks and then do 50% weekly.

I would do this: do the 75% water change now.
Set up and cycle the 10 gallon. Then move the betta to the ten gallon.

Then you can use the 20 for the corydoras. A 10 gallon is plenty big for the betta but too small for the corydoras.

Keep in mind that corydoras need a sand substrate as well. Get 5 more of the same type of cory.

Water changes are crucial. Just replacing the water will not do. This is most likely what caused the popeye and fungus. Do a 75% water change every day for two weeks and then do 50% weekly.
I know that it may be fungus, but I think it would be a coincidence if she got popeye and fungus at the same time and in the same eye, when she had never gotten sick before. I know that I should probably play it safe, though, and I should be doing water changes anyways. I still think that the popeye and the blindness may have been caused by an injury. Either that, or the popeye was an injury and fungus was able to grow due to that injury. I hope it is a fungal infection, since thatā€™s something you can treat.

There are a few things I forgot to mention. Iā€™ve had Coral for just over 2 years and I got her as an adult. Iā€™ve had Alabaster for a few months now. I also have a snail in the tank who is over a year old. Also, thank you so much for helping my fish! It means a lot to me. Also, thank you for helping me with Alabaster.

I know that it may be fungus, but I think it would be a coincidence if she got popeye and fungus at the same time and in the same eye, when she had never gotten sick before. I know that I should probably play it safe, though, and I should be doing water changes anyways. I still think that the popeye and the blindness may have been caused by an injury. Either that, or the popeye was an injury and fungus was able to grow due to that injury. I hope it is a fungal infection, since thatā€™s something you can treat.

There are a few things I forgot to mention. Iā€™ve had Coral for just over 2 years and I got her as an adult. Iā€™ve had Alabaster for a few months now. I also have a snail in the tank who is over a year old. Also, thank you so much for helping my fish! It means a lot to me. Also, thank you for helping me with Alabaster.
No problem:) I love fish (my whole family thinks in insane) and love helping people with their fish too

Sorry that I forgot to give an update. Coralā€™s eye slowly got less and less white until it healed. However, I probably should have quarantined her because she ended up getting more injuries due to her eye. Sheā€™s swimming around like she normally would and is almost better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back