Is My Amazon Sword Done For?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
...Yikes. I've been keeping an eye on this amazon sword since I put it into my 170L, and it had been doing fine (or as far as I could tell, it was) up until I swapped the gravel for sand. Uprooted it just now to see the damage since it was looking a little worse for wear and... Again, yikes.

Is it done for? Should I just throw it away or can I salvage this? Took a few close-up shots to capture the entirety of the damage. I think it looks pretty bad, but I'd like to get some more opinions before I throw it away.
1620657692276.png
1620657698992.png
1620657715677.png
1620657725205.png

Hi! I would try to save it!!! Do you have any kind of root tab under it? Moving and Replanting it was probably hard on the roots. I used to move mine around every once In a while, and I had no root tabs, and mine were like that but worse, I decided to NOT move them ever and added a few root tabs and they are perking up a huge amount!

Hi! I would try to save it!!! Do you have any kind of root tab under it? Moving and Replanting it was probably hard on the roots. I used to move mine around every once In a while, and I had no root tabs, and mine were like that but worse, I decided to NOT move them ever and added a few root tabs and they are perking up a huge amount!
I do! ...Somewhere in my cabinet. Should I trim off any of the leaves? Some are just completely dead at this point, I've had a fair few just drop off, too.

I do! ...Somewhere in my cabinet. Should I trim off any of the leaves? Some are just completely dead at this point, I've had a fair few just drop off, too.
Does the plant actively have a root tan under it? If not I would definitely add one! I would pull off any leaves that are dead or rotting, or have dead or dying ends, or if there are any with snapped stems. The less leaves it is trying to keep healthy while it recovers from being replanted the better for the healthy leaves!

Does the plant actively have a root tan under it? If not I would definitely add one! I would pull off any leaves that are dead or rotting, or have dead or dying ends, or if there are any with snapped stems. The less leaves it is trying to keep healthy while it recovers from being replanted the better for the healthy leaves!
Not yet, I'll add one though. Thanks for the tips!

Yeah do exactly this, removing the dead and damaged will allow it to use its energy to grow rather than repair ?? deffo salvageable

Yeah do exactly this, removing the dead and damaged will allow it to use its energy to grow rather than repair ?? deffo salvageable
Yes I would say defiantly salvageable! I’m not sure how long you’ve had this plant, but typically these plants are grown at the farms out of the water so the leaves grow rounded. After you’ve put them into your tank they’ll melt back and kill off all the older leaves that have grown rounded as they aren’t suitable for taking in nutrients from the water column. Once the leaves have died back new leaves will grow these will be slender and more adapted for growth under the surface of water! :)

Yes I would say defiantly salvageable! I’m not sure how long you’ve had this plant, but typically these plants are grown at the farms out of the water so the leaves grow rounded. After you’ve put them into your tank they’ll melt back and kill off all the older leaves that have grown rounded as they aren’t suitable for taking in nutrients from the water column. Once the leaves have died back new leaves will grow these will be slender and more adapted for growth under the surface of water! :)
Wow, that's fascinating! Thanks for the fun facts!

Wow, that's fascinating! Thanks for the fun facts!
That might also be why your plant is dying back, it is just adjusting to its new environment with sand as substrate there’s less nutrients so it will focus more on absorbing from the water column than the ground So I wouldn’t say you’re killing it, will actually probably grow back thicker and healthier than before

That might also be why your plant is dying back, it is just adjusting to its new environment with sand as substrate there’s less nutrients so it will focus more on absorbing from the water column than the ground So I wouldn’t say you’re killing it, will actually probably grow back thicker and healthier than before
That was my thought with the change in substrate... Again, it had been doing well until I changed. It only started dying in the last month and a bit. That might solve my problem, then!

Thanks again!

I would still definitely put a root tan in though, as amazon swords are most efficient at pulling nutrients through their roots!

I would still definitely put a root tan in though, as amazon swords are most efficient at pulling nutrients through their roots!
Root tan or root tab? I've put in a tab.

The plant still had the rockwool around it (when I first put it in I didn't know you were supposed to remove it) so I took that off, and the plant came apart in two pieces. Cleaned up both parts and planted them in the tank.

The plant still had the rockwool around it (when I first put it in I didn't know you were supposed to remove it) so I took that off, and the plant came apart in two pieces. Cleaned up both parts and planted them in the tank.
Whoops, root tab! Stupid Autocorrect lol.

That is ok, that is how all my amazon swords came (and I bought 5 lol)

Yes adding that root tab and removing that wool will defiantly help the plant (now plants LOL) to get a better footing in the sand and grow better stronger roots!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back