Is It Okay To Feed Newly Introduced Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kelp

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just introduced 6 harlequin rasboras into my tank, and I'm really excited about seeing them eat. Is it okay to feed them flakes right away, or should I let them get settled into their new home?

Let them get settled in a little bit, more than likely they are too scared from their trip to eat right now anyway. Wait another day or so and then feed them very little to make sure it is all eatten.

I don't tend to feed my new fish until the day after I've brought them. I like to give them a day to settle in to their new home.

i read its best to leave them 24 hrs after adding so that the filter gets used to the extra waste, also add them with the lights off and leave them off at least an hour after adding the little guys.

I have also read that it is best not to, but have to admit I tend to do it anyway; particularly with livebearers (my favourites) I find nothing reassures them so much as a quick peek at the menu. But if your rasboras seem very shy, perhaps better leave them.

I also know that im suppose to leave them for 24 hours, but i rarly do :shifty:

I usually end up feeding them the evening they are introduced and they eat fine, thankfully. But i think it depends on how they are looking just after they've been released :p

I usually give new additions a full 24 hours to get used to the tank; any nervous newcomers won't come out for food until they feel it's safe. Don't forget fish can go days in the wild without finding food. They'll feed when they're ready.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back