Is it normal for new aquarium pipes to leak?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

PackardG00SE

Reaction score
I just purchased my first aquarium from a reputable dealer. I got a great deal, but when I hooked it up every pipe leaked. I repaired the threaded connectors with plumbers tape. I still need to plug up the other connections with silicone gel. I just want to know if this is normal. One of the reasons I chose this brand was the plumbing looked so simple to install in the installation video. I was shocked to discover that screwing the pipes into place wasnā€™t enough to prevent leaks. Hopefully, Iā€™ll be able to prevent further leaks, but if it does continue to drip at least the water will fall into the sump.

ā€”ā€”ā€”

I did. The seller acted like it was normal. I just wanted to know if it really is common in the aquarium hobby, or if I was lied to. I canā€™t contact the manufacturer.

ā€”ā€”ā€”

They donā€™t have a phone number, but I did shoot them an email. Probably, should have done that two days ago.

Definitely not normal...I'd be asking for my money back

It is and it's not normal. I've never screwed two tank pipes together without plumber's tape. If that doesn't work, then there's an issue.

Step back, take a breather and go over the fittings again. Did this come with instructions? If the leak is coming out of threaded fittings, Teflon tape can help. And it is not normal to have any leaks.

Its definitely not normal for products to leak like you are saying.

What brand is the product? I'm wondering if its just got a knack to getting it connected properly?

Any chance of photos or videos of whats going on?

Itā€™s an AquaForest OceanGuard 435. Itā€™s very easy to assemble. The pipes are literally straight forward. They go straight down through the internal down-flow system. All you do is add the washers and plastic rings to seal. I have taken the plumbing system apart multiple times, and reassembled it. Everything appears to be sitting right. Let me see if I can take some photos of the parts that I know for a fact leak.

ā€”ā€”ā€”

The parts that definitely leak are the connections that look like cups. You push the cup up and then turn to tighten. I donā€™t think plumbers tape will work on this type of connection. There are washers inside the cups.

Attachments

• 08AC6C4C-8B5B-4092-998F-70D2F0217C49.jpeg
    08AC6C4C-8B5B-4092-998F-70D2F0217C49.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back