Is it cycled already?

i'm _neon_some_help

Reaction score
I started a new tank about 3 weeks ago. I had a 5 gallon that was already up and running so I took some of the gravel from the 5 gallon along with the 5 gallon's filter and put it in the new tank to get the cycle started [I also added a few flakes of food to have break down].

These have been my test results for the last 3 weeks:

Week 1
.5 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

Week 2
.25 ammonia
.25 nitrite
5 nitrate

Week 3
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10 nitrate

I thought the nitrite were supposed to spike and I hardly consider .25 a "spike." Could it have spiked between the second and third week's testings? And, is it cycled already?

Also, I have these strange white worms [about 1/8 in. long] in the tank. What are they/where did they come from?

Well, since you seeded the new tank with gravel and filter from the old one, it could have cycled in that short of a time period. I would say that if the tests show 0 for the ammo and nitrites, then it should be cycled. But, since there were no fish in it, the good bacteria could have just all died since there was really nothing for it to feed on. I'd try to add to little plain ammonia to it and see what happens. Basically do a fishless cycle for a week or 2. Keep a close watch on the water stats. If it still registers 0 across the board, then I'd say that it is cycled and would VERY SLOWLY add fish, watching the water stats along the way.
Read this post... it may help.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...=fishless+cycle

As for the white worms, I would find a way to get rid of them before you add any fish. I don't know what they are, but maybe one of the pinned topics could help you. They may be just an pest, or it could be a parasitic worm waiting on a host - your fish! I'd surely find out though before I add anything.

Hope theis helps! Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back