Is it camallanus? How to treat it in Canada?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@kribensis12
If you look at the thread title, we aren't discussing meds in the USA. In Canada, you are in for at least $50, if you can find a nice vet. More if you can't. If you order from the US and it gets through the border, sellers jack the prices way up because they know they have a captive market If you live very close to the border, you can scoot across and play dumb if you get caught with it.
I misread the name of the OP, I thought Connor was the OP and he lives in the U.S.

It's crazy how different countries can be. In the US it's not that uncommon for someone to order medication from Canada in order to save 1000s of dollars. Whereas in the case of fish medication, it's almost impossible to get it! Ironic a bit.

I ordered through Walmart.ca (link here), and with shipping, it costs CA$43. And this is if it even gets here. 🤞

Quick question: how often can I feed garlic to the fish? Is this a daily thing? Weekly? I did it a week ago, wondering if I can or should do it again.

Thank you.

It depends on how you feed it, I would guess. There is one chemical in garlic that is useful, and I think it has a very short shelf life. It may not be stable enough to remain present in powder, used in fishfoods. So you could feed garlic fishfoods as a staple, since I suspect they contain garlic to make you feel better about doing something for the sick fish.

The useful chemical's in the juice if you crush a clove, but good luck getting freshly squeezed garlic jiuce into a fish without simply polluting the water.

I'm mixing garlic with their food and a bit of tank water. At this point, I'm ok with dirtying the tank, as long as I can get rid of the parasite.

I ordered through Walmart.ca (link here), and with shipping, it costs CA$43. And this is if it even gets here. 🤞

Quick question: how often can I feed garlic to the fish? Is this a daily thing? Weekly? I did it a week ago, wondering if I can or should do it again.

Thank you.
garlic although it has healing properties it shouldn't be used as a food and should never be used for periods longer than 2 weeks or risk liver/stomach problems
you can read about it here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/169...0 g/kg body weight/day,in liver after 21 days.
garlic is a natural antibiotic with no known resistance and it's great as a cure for many things but not as a "standby" waiting on getting meds food-source
if you only fed them a week ago you should be fine to do it again but with worms...this isn't a cure...it's just a patch
how many fish do you have in the affected tank?
if it's only a few...just catch them put them in a container....and do a hot water change of 65C...that will kill all the worms in the tank
if your tank is 27C and you're changing 50% of the water...the other 50% you add needs to be at 103C to reach 65C in the tank
once it cools back down to 27C you can put your fish back...
this will rid your tank of worms instantly minus the ones in the fish
do the hot water change..then feed them the garlic...whatever worms left over in them will be passed through...some dead but it'll be minimal until you get the meds you need...

Great news, everyone! I did receive the Fritz Expel-P I ordered through Walmart. Unfortunately, I got the 10-pack and not the 20-pack as advertised on the site, but hopefully, that will be corrected.

Nonetheless, I'm happy that I can treat this issue more efficiently. But, before I do so, the instructions say to change 25% of the water 24 hours after. Because I have plants in the tank and the gravel is quite coarse, I was actually thinking about taking out all decor and plants and doing a thorough cleanup of the tank. Would this be appropriate? What's the best way to get rid of this awful parasite?

last thing you want to do is stress out already sick fish with large water changes...
with this specific case you're doing water changes to remove paralized parasites and eggs at the bottom...
so a daily water change at 20% would be best to make sure you're removing them as they are passed through the fish on a daily basis
stop using garlic as you don't want to mix antibiotics with other things in off the shelf meds
and if there's spots you can't get at because of plants/decorations I would remove them until you can get this solved

Thank you, kiko. I'm thinking of taking out all plants and decor and just leaving the gravel and sponge filter.

If I take out the plants, I'm assuming I should not put those in a tank where I have other fish, as those might have eggs, no? Even if I keep them in a tank without livestock, how long should I wait until I put them back in the main tank?

I would bleach them....put them in hot water (anything above 65C)
then in another tank....
wait until all this is solved to put them back...it just makes it easier for you to get at those hard to get spots without plants/decorations

"Bleach and put them in hot water" Both plants and decor or just decor? I read about dipping plants in bleach, so I'll check how long I can do that for the types of plants I have. As for the hot water, is it safe for the plants?

Also, it's not clear on the instructions, but, should I pre-mix the Expel-P with tank water first before putting it in the tank?
Usually that is the case for dissolvable meds

"Bleach and put them in hot water" Both plants and decor or just decor? I read about dipping plants in bleach, so I'll check how long I can do that for the types of plants I have. As for the hot water, is it safe for the plants?
65c is just the temp of a hot day in south america when it heats up to near 50c and the asphalt even more and weeds still grow on the sides of the roads...
bleach you can dip them for like 15-30secs then rinse with water
hot water HAS to be 65 not less not more that's why I said before to use a thermometer
just leave them in there for 5-10mins
so you can just fill up the kitchen sink with your 65c water...dip them in bleach put them in the hot water and after 5-10mins just drain the sink and rinse with warm water as to not cause shock to the plants of going hot straight to cold let them sit to cool down for 15 to 30mins then put them in the hold tank just to make sure they're clean from chemicals and worms before putting them back in your tank
fish wouldn't be able to survive a hot water change to 65c for the 30mins or so that it would take for the tank to cool down...plants would
that's why I suggested it

DO NOT PUT THE FISH IN WATER THAT IS 65 DEGREES CELSIUS. IT WILL KILL THEM.

Very few organisms on this planet can survive being put in 65C water. It kills very quickly.

--------------------

When you are treating the tank for worms, leave everything in the aquarium and treat it. If you move stuff out, you transfer the worm eggs. Just do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate, and clean the filter before treating. Then treat the tank. Wait 24-48 hours and do another big water change and gravel clean, and clean the filter again.

Treat all your aquariums at the same time.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise aeration whenever using medications.

See section 3 of the following link for how to treat intestinal worms in fish.

DO NOT PUT THE FISH IN WATER THAT IS 65 DEGREES CELSIUS. IT WILL KILL THEM.

Very few organisms on this planet can survive being put in 65C water. It kills very quickly.
I'm pretty sure I mention it each time I suggested it...
fish wouldn't survive a hot water change.. and neither would the worms
plants will do fine after another water change to replace mineral/nutrient content that might evaporate as long it's 65c measured with a thermometer and not a "finger feel"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back