Is It Algae? Fresh Water Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nut4clife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been cycling my tank for 12 days now. currently there seems to be "grey fuzz or water dust bunnies" covering the artificial aquatics and floating in the tank.
Initial tap water readings:
PH 7.6/High PH 8.0; Ammonia 4.0 ppm; Nitrite 0; Nitrate 0

Readings Today:
PH 7.6/High 8.0; Ammonia 2.0; Nitrite 0; Nitrate 0;KH 120ppm/6.7dKH; GH 180/10dGH.

Since this is my first tank I chose artificial plants/substrate until I learn the pros and cons. I added API quick start bacteria, and Sea Salt. What should be my concerns at this point? What should be happening? What should I change or do differently? Please help!View attachment 71032View attachment 71033

If you follow the guide on cycling in my signature then the cycle should go smoothly :)

What test kit are you using? There is no way there is 4ppm Ammonia in your tap water, it's not possible.

edit: unless you mean that you put the ammonia in to your tap water, in which case apologies!

Your description sounds like it could be diatoms, which is common in new set ups and if it is it will disappear on its own in a week or two.

It's probably a fungus of some kind, you can remove it manually if you want or just leave it and it will likely die off on it's own :)

Hi All,
Blondie it is your cycling program I'm attempting to follow.  Fish Herder I'm using the API Master Kit and the API 5 in 1 test strips.  I'll do a quick 5 min regent test on my tap and give you the results.  I haven't added ANY ammonia to my take just tap water that contained ammonia at least according to the tests.  I've covered the tank with a blanket for 24/48 hours to see if light elimination has an impact on the perceived algae. 
Ok straight from the tap reading is now 1.0ppm and the tank reading is 4.0ppm ammonia.  Why is the ammonia increasing in the tank when I have nothing creating waste in the tank.  I'm so confused!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back