is adding salt good for tropical freshwater

paul12690

Reaction score
ive read on a site that theres a lot of benifits from adding salt in tropical freshwater aquarium if this is true how much should i add in a 34 gallon tank and what type of salt

I don't use salt in my tanks unless there is something wrong (ie, they have a disease, sore, or are stressed due to a move or new tank mate, etc). I use freshwater aquarium salt purchased from the LFS. The box should have the proper dose (mine says 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons of water).

i just succesfully treated whitespot with just salt, i have a treatment i follow, if your interested in it private msg me your email and i'll send it to you, or if you use an instant messenger program give me your contact info and i'll send it over :nod:

I use aquarium salt in my tank, it's supposed to reduce stress and add electrolytes and improve gill function (according to the box)

it tells you on the box (at least mine does) how much to put in for different things like just to generally improve health and reduce stress or in conjunction with treatment for an illness.

if you get the aquarium salt for freshwater fish it should tell u on the back how much to use for different stuff. i just started using it today with fin rot treatment.

oh and sorry to like ask other questions on your post but what i dont get is you drop the teaspoon or whatever it says in there and then is it suposed to dissolve cause mine just sinks to the bottom in the gravel? how is it doing anything if it doesnt dissolve in the water? :dunno:

kaley822 said:
oh and sorry to like ask other questions on your post but what i dont get is you drop the teaspoon or whatever it says in there and then is it suposed to dissolve cause mine just sinks to the bottom in the gravel? how is it doing anything if it doesnt dissolve in the water? :dunno:
What it ususally doesn't say on the box is that you should disolve it in a cup or bowl of tank water, then dump the salt solution in. Good idea to also add it over time so the fish can acclimate.

An interesting article on the "Salt myth"
Salt myth

I have found it had no benefits for my fish and you have to be super careful with it, if you overdose there could be a disaster, take it from someone who learnt the hard way! -_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back