Is a 3 gallon bookshelf aquarium suitable for a betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mint

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m finding aquariums to do a iwagumi aquascape in, and 3 gal bookshelf looks best. It’s about 18 inches long, and 8 inches wide, but really short…only 7 inches tall. Is it suitable? I know the minimum for bettas is 5 gal, but a 5 gal is shorter than it in length, so I think he’s got more swimming room here. Only aquarium decor in the tank would be rocks.
If it’s not suitable, I’ll just do a small school of Chili rasboras.

I’m finding aquariums to do a iwagumi aquascape in, and 3 gal bookshelf looks best. It’s about 18 inches long, and 8 inches wide, but really short…only 7 inches tall. Is it suitable? I know the minimum for bettas is 5 gal, but a 5 gal is shorter than it in length, so I think he’s got more swimming room here. Only aquarium decor in the tank would be rocks.
If it’s not suitable, I’ll just do a small school of Chili rasboras.
I personally think 5 gallons is the minimum and that the tank should have live plants. My betta loves hiding in the greenery.

A 3 gallon would be OK if you are on top of water quality. 5 gallons are better. If the Betta is going to be one with heavy and ornate fins you will want to have a plant or two that they cand rest on, like an anubias.

Bettas need floating plants, that is where they live naturally. So do the chili rasboras for that matter. Sparse surface tanks cause them stress which weakens them.

This is one of the major issues with "iwagumi" aquascapes. I .have never seen one that is actually suited to the poor fish in it.

I would not hesitate one minute to put a single Betta in that three gallon. In years past I kept single male Betta‘s in cut off plastic milk jugs just fine. It’s amazing what you can do that other people say you can’t.

It’s not really a “real” iwagumi: I’m planning to copy this guy’s setup.
Except without carpet seeds: probably I’ll use dwarf hair grass, maybe Monte Carlo if I get a co2 system. The floating plants thing…I actually consider them hazards in betta/gourami/any other air-breathing fish tanks, since they crowd out the surface quite frequently, and even if they don’t, they’re long and good at trapping fish. I’ve had a (baby) DG get stuck in red root floater when he was going for air. He’s lucky he did it during the day, or otherwise I’m pretty sure he would have died. No floaters, I don’t care if it’s unnatural, I’m not finding him in the morning stuck in a lily pad. It is indeed a betta with large fins: a crowntail, to be precise. I’m putting a betta log in, so he’ll likely rest in that. Doesn’t use betta leaves or Amazon swords much, so rests like those are kind of useless to him.
I know five’s the minimum. It’s a longer tank, however…in my experience, bettas don’t really value going up and down in their tank much. They more like swimming space. Extra water changes don’t matter much: I’ve managed to get my hands on a rodi system, so no more problems getting distilled water.

Last edited:
OK. This is just my opinion, but I think a 3 gallon is the minimum for a Betta. I have a female Betta in a 3 gallon and she's doing just fine. A five gallon would be recommended, but a 3 gallon is good too. Bettas do like tall plants to swim around in, so try to add some of those.

I think a 5 gallon tank is the bare minimum for a beta. Some people have 3 gallon tanks which is fine but if you can get a bigger tank bigger is always better. Just do frequent water changes and find one that maybe has a filter to help with this. Bigger tanks are easier to keep clean just as a little tip. Good luck can’t wait to see what you end up with!

Oh, it’s not a kit. I’m setting it up just like a normal aquarium: hang-on back filter to keep the zen, but not much else beyond the heater, lid, plants, and maybe I’ll try to work a cave into the design somewhere. Probably Cascade 20 filter, maybe I’ll go up if that’s too little?
I’m really only asking if 3 gallons is fine for the betta as a space thing (Ie, would my betta get cramped in it). I’ve kept a lot of small tanks before, so the learning curve isn’t a problem. Bioload also isn’t, as the rodi system basically gives me all the water I need.

Alright, I’ll look into getting a rimless 5 off FB.

They do sell a 6 gallon bookshelf, but I’m not getting that unless I absolutely have to because it’s 90 bucks and doesn’t have much extra space.

That’s true if I were you I would just go with the 3 gallon then, I hadn’t realized how expensive the 6 was and it’s only 3 extra gallons. When you have it all finished put a picture up because I am curious of how it’s going to turn out.

I have the 6 gal. rimless by Lifeguard Aquatics for my betta, and it's really quite fantastic. The length is great - Fritz uses every bit of that space, and I have floaters at one end (which he loves), and open surface at the other where my filter is. If you can afford that and fit the extra length, I'd highly recommend it just because of how good it looks for the extra water volume & length. I bought a 24in top fin glass aquarium lid and just took it apart so I could use one half for a lid with rimless lid supports. Works great.

But the 3 gal should be fine too. The length is really what matters (and enough width to comfortably turn around in)...bettas are perfectly happy with shallow water, so depth really isn't an issue.

I like the footprint of the 3 gallon tank. It should be fine for a single Betta. They prefer low height for a tank. Just do weekly 60% water changes and it will be fine.

And be sure to enter that tank in a future tank of the month contest. June and September contest will be for nano tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back