Ipad For This Dummy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NickAu said:
Yes Linux something Like Linux Mint Ubuntu or even a nice Puppy Linux.

uuuhhhhhh..............English please :lol:

Though does sounds good to keep this laptop going rather than spending hundreds on a new laptop.

But still will have a look at netbooks, ipads and tablets as may still prove useful and I do like gadgets.

A puppy linux.   Is a cross between this:

2ldEz_VcEK.jpg

and 

lynx.jpg-2-2e8qx7n.jpg

But still will have a look at netbooks, ipads and tablets as may still prove useful and I do like gadgets.
That's fine, Get the new whatever, set it up, Then we can install Linux on that old laptop and you can learn at your pace.

Yes Ubuntu will be fine I use Ubuntu myself,  Ch4rlie is running a Mac, Wine is a Windows emulator.

Ch4rlie
Take your time no hurry that old laptop is not going anywhere, When you are ready we can proceed, Can you give me your PC specs?

IMAGES ARE NOT MY WORK.

apple_about_this_mac.png

about_this_mac.png

I need this bit.

20120906-02-MacSysInfo_1.jpg

eaglesaquarium said:
I agree that PC World can be a bit off, I think they get commission if they sell a product so I don't completely trust them! Also, I disagree about the iPad display not being as good as a smart phone - mine has AMAZING display. My photos from my camera look brilliant on it. I do have the retina display iPad though.

I think either I misstated what I was trying to say, versus what was read... I meant the camera function of the iPad is less quality than the camera function of the smartphones.  The displays on iPad are better than smartphones, that's true.  I was referring to 'functionality', in terms of the things you could do on it.  There's not much that you can do on an iPad that you can't do on a smartphone.
Ahh right! Yeah I agree, my iPad is basically a stretched out iPhone!

Try iPad Air or iPad Air 2, you won't go wrong. Worth the money.

Why do you say that?  What's so great about them?

My old Galaxy Tabs, Tab 10.1, Tab 3 and now the Tab S will run circles around iPads (even the Air2) all day long

I may be biased against Apple's tablet offerings to begin with, but they don't compare in my eyes to Samsung's offerings.

Ch4rlie, have you considered one of the Amazon Fire Tablets?  They are relatively cheap.

Liv15 said:
Ahh right! Yeah I agree, my iPad is basically a stretched out iPhone!

Thats the best description of an Ipad by far I reckon, I have an iPhone and reckon that would suit me quite well actually.
Certainly food for thought.

dave840f1 said:
Try iPad Air or iPad Air 2, you won't go wrong. Worth the money.

As Eaglesaquarium already asked, why?

What makes the iPad air worth the extra money?
Far as I know, iPad Air2 depending on specs is from £399 from an Apple store, pretty much double my budget :/
And a basic iPad Air starts from about £250 new, certainly cheaper if 2nd hand.

BiggTexx said:
My old Galaxy Tabs, Tab 10.1, Tab 3 and now the Tab S will run circles around iPads (even the Air2) all day long

I may be biased against Apple's tablet offerings to begin with, but they don't compare in my eyes to Samsung's offerings.

Ch4rlie, have you considered one of the Amazon Fire Tablets?  They are relatively cheap.

My girlfriend has a Samsung Galaxy phone, its not all that in my opinion, even she does not like it much and much prefers her iPhone (yes, she has 2 mobile phones :rolleyes: )

Amazon Fire Tablets, hmm, going to have to research that as I don't know what that is exactly.

Went to PC World to have a look around the ipads and laptops they have.

The girlfriend is nto keen on the Samsung tablets at all, so thats out.

Also the Window OS Laptop, notebooks and Tablets, not for us after faffing around for a while on these, also some of these were a over our budget, usually around £250 for basic set ups.

The iPad mini, well, we do sorta like it but want a larger display screen.

So it sounds like we're going to try and get a normal sized iPad after some discussions and deliberations.

Now its timme to scour the internet for an iPad, but will probably end up buying one from John Lewis or an Apple store eventually since that way, would get 2 years warranty rather than risking buying a second hand one that may be dodgy :lol:

Just did a little research into my girlfriend's old laptop.

It IS old, basically an antique as mentioned before.
mac info.png

and further info....
more mac info.png

Then decided to find out exactly how old this laptop is....
def an old laptop.png

Its a laptop from October 2006, basically almost 9 years old!!
ohmy.png

The only thing we have done to this laptop over the years is upgrade the memory by adding another 1GB and a new battery.

Pretty good I reckon!

And I think the battery is now getting to end of life, it needs to be replaced and getting a new battery for this is going to be nigh on impossible and probably too expensive, reckon its' time for this laptop to hang up its boots.

So think changing OS on this laptop to Linux may be a pointless excercise unless anyone thinks otherwise?

And by the way, we have decided to try to find a 4th generation iPad with retina display.
The screen is larger than the mini and more reasonable in terms of price and going for 32 GB I think will do perfectly fine for our purposes.

So think changing OS on this laptop to Linux may be a pointless excercise unless anyone thinks otherwise?
Do you want to learn something new?
Do you want to save money in the future by not having to buy a new PC just because the operating system is not supported any more. Lots of people who use XP are finding this out the hard way now.
Do you want to use that laptop for about another 5 years or more ( Excluding any Hardware failures)?
Did you know that there are no current viruses that affect Linux?
Did you know that malware in general for Linux is almost non existent?  I do not use any antivirus or anti malware, On a Linux system they are not needed.
Do you feel that you should never have to pay for the Operating system or most of the software you will ever need? Linux OS is free and 99% of the software is also free, And NO MALWARE.

If the answer is yes let me know and I will help you, This applies to any member here.

Please note Every Linux distro is different and sometimes it just wont run on a machine, So you move on and try something else.

A Core Duo 2.16 with 2 GiB of ram should run Linux Mint nicely.

This is the Distro I have in mind. Video not my work
http://youtu.be/_v7fnMfFdrI

Not sure why the post came out blank. To reiterate: 

Linux is not immune to virus and malware, and to suggest otherwise is completely inaccurate.  While Linux is considered safe when used sensibly, a novice user thinking that he is immune can very easily end up with infections.  Any computer connected to a network is vulnerable.

Yes, there are steps you can take to make the setup as secure as possible (protecting root, system updates, file permissions, user roles, etc.) but again, this does not make you immune.

Add on the complexity that you may not be affected by a certain virus does not mean it cannot live on your system wait for you to send a file/email out to a family member/friend to be infected.

I run a chromebook, dual set up with ubuntu, to unlock the network functionality.

Cheap, nice little machine. Pain for networking, occasional things it can't do, but can't complain about the price point.

Personally, for tablets, I'm still a fan of the nexus range, solid, high spec for the price and don't come with random things installed that you can't mess with.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back