Interesting Situation

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

spoiledfish

Reaction score
So I have two bettas, one is a male, almost 3 and a half years old and the other is a young female. I recently acquired a 30gal tank which I set up to see if it was sound and to make sure all the parts worked, and then, for giggles, put the two in to see how they would do. The male betta has never been truly aggressive to the female and they've lived next to each other for almost 4 months in separate small tanks, so when I put them in together they immediately hit it off. 

Now because it's a filtered unit the male built his bubble nest in a colosseum feature that sits at the bottom of the tank and I didn't see it nor expect it when he suddenly cornered my female betta and mated with her. 

I know most of you are going to say, duh- you put a male and a female together what else did you expect- but I had read that males usually only mate when they are younger and I wasn't really planning on mating them it just sort of happened. 

I was really only going to keep the bettas in the tank until I moved to Virginia in a month, so I didn't want to fully establish the tank with other fish just before a big move. I wasn't expecting to have children on my hands.

But I also have nothing prepared to care for the fry. Any suggestions?

I believe if you just do nothing they will eat their own fry. It's brutal and sad but it's nature. 

I would be happy to take some off your hand- I have a lot of spare tanks and spare space for fish. 

Would be really interested in seeing the nest the adults and the set up you have for them if you could show us a pic? you will need to remove the female as the male will not tolerate her near the nest once the eggs are there that is if he is a good dad.

Just an update- The dad  has moved the babes out of the Colosseum and up to the top of the tank and they're swimming around like mad- being little rebellious fishies. I am trying some Infusoria but I've still got a day or so until they've finished eating off all the yolk. I'll post some pictures soon!

tumblr_o8bvd2NSDF1v1y8blo1_540.jpg
tumblr_o8kifmfdNg1v1y8blo9_1280.jpg
tumblr_o8kifmfdNg1v1y8blo4_1280.jpg

The filter and bubbler are currently off- the first picture was when the tank was first set up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back