Interested in breeding... seriously this time.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

On the shopping list:
  • Heater (for 5g)
  • Sponge filter
  • Methelyne blue
  • First Bites
Anything else I’m missing?
You don't normally need Methylene Blue. I haven't used it for 30 years. If the water is clean there should be much, if any fungus in it to infect the eggs.

Get a heater for a 10 gallon tank not a 5 gallon. Then you can use it on a bigger tank/ container if needed.

Go through the link I put in post #12 and start making green water and infusoria. You can culture them in plastic storage containers. You can also start making microworm cultures and get some dry brineshrimp eggs and rotifer cysts and start hatching them. You can feed them to the neons and other small fishes.

You don't normally need Methylene Blue. I haven't used it for 30 years. If the water is clean there should be much, if any fungus in it to infect the eggs.

Get a heater for a 10 gallon tank not a 5 gallon. Then you can use it on a bigger tank/ container if needed.

Go through the link I put in post #12 and start making green water and infusoria. You can culture them in plastic storage containers. You can also start making microworm cultures and get some dry brineshrimp eggs and rotifer cysts and start hatching them. You can feed them to the neons and other small fishes.
I’ll get to work on that green water.

Will any lawn fertilizer work? Won’t it be toxic for the fry?

(Still looking for a good 10g heater on Amazon)

Ok, hehe, so first attempt at catching these little suckers didn’t go so well... they all scurried away in my very conveniently, heavily planted tank.

Can I make a trap for them? Or just keep trying?

Could I use my syphon to get them out? (Did this accidentally once, but it was quite easy. Not sure how safe it is for them though...)

Any suggestions on a decent heater for the 5g? Preferably something adjustable, but not to expensive...
You know PK, I actually just have a Walmart Tetra small one in mine and it keeps water at about 76-77F. Fine for fry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 28
You know PK, I actually just have a Walmart Tetra small one in mine and it keeps water at about 76-77F. Fine for fry.
Do “fry heaters” need to be adjustable? I do like the Tetras heaters, but I don’t like they aren’t adjustable. :/

Just surprised myself in being able to catch one from the 29g! 1 down, 4 to go...

As long as it stays around the 76-77F mark then no. Just use a cheap. :)

Last edited:
Just went to clean my 55G and found these...had to place in a breeder basket fir now because snails are in the nursery tank and the fry in 20G long grow out tank are big enough to eat them. We’ll see what happens but this what to look for in glass and plants. After a water change I’ll probably have lots to show you.

Attachments

• D778F05A-5886-45BA-BC54-AE1D5FEAD6F2.jpeg
    D778F05A-5886-45BA-BC54-AE1D5FEAD6F2.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 32
  • C6C62323-3028-481A-8D79-B7CCA3B53032.jpeg
    C6C62323-3028-481A-8D79-B7CCA3B53032.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Here are 2.5 week old Cory fry to give you an idea.

Attachments

• A4956202-9486-46F2-A5A3-682C7162E0D4.jpeg
    A4956202-9486-46F2-A5A3-682C7162E0D4.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DD65930B-A28E-48BC-8F76-D19FB90251E8.jpeg
    DD65930B-A28E-48BC-8F76-D19FB90251E8.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 5726FABB-9D1A-472A-8154-649BEAA5D104.jpeg
    5726FABB-9D1A-472A-8154-649BEAA5D104.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 27
As long as it stays around the 76-76F mark then no. Just use a cheap. :)
Sounds good. The Tetra heater is now on my list. ?

Just went to clean my 55G and found these...had to place in a breeder basket fir now because snails are in the nursery tank and the fry in 20G long grow out tank are big enough to eat them. We’ll see what happens but this what to look for in glass and plants. After a water change I’ll probably have lots to show you.
Yeesh those are hard to see! ?

———

The 1 Cory I removed from the 29g is doing well with the other 4 in the 20g.

Does anyone have an opinion on using the syphon for getting the corys out?

Yeh, I wouldn't advise it mate. Cories shoot out sharp barbs from behind their gills when traumatized, so if they do that inside the pipe theres a chance they might get stuck?

Just pull everything out and lower the water, youll catch them all in no time

Dang, you have youtube blocked and can't see videos, right? Aquarium Co Op did an excellent video about how to catch fish like an expert, without stressing them out too much, or making them panic or hide.

Perhaps ask your parents if they'd allow you to watch this link on their device, to pick up some tips about catching fish. It's only a 12 minute video, but I found it really useful, and it's family friendly:

It's hard to describe what he's doing, much easier if you can see how he moves the net.
If not, you could try leaving a large net in the tank, near the front of the glass, with some food in the back of the net. Sit and watch the tank, close enough to get the net, but not too close so as to spook the cories, then scoop one up when it bumbles in there. Patience and smooth motions is the key, especially when there's no rush to catch and move them.

Yeh, I wouldn't advise it mate. Cories shoot out sharp barbs from behind their gills when traumatized, so if they do that inside the pipe theres a chance they might get stuck?

Just pull everything out and lower the water, youll catch them all in no time
They actually shoot out barbs?!? ?

Dang, you have youtube blocked and can't see videos, right? Aquarium Co Op did an excellent video about how to catch fish like an expert, without stressing them out too much, or making them panic or hide.

Perhaps ask your parents if they'd allow you to watch this link on their device, to pick up some tips about catching fish. It's only a 12 minute video, but I found it really useful, and it's family friendly:

It's hard to describe what he's doing, much easier if you can see how he moves the net.
If not, you could try leaving a large net in the tank, near the front of the glass, with some food in the back of the net. Sit and watch the tank, close enough to get the net, but not too close so as to spook the cories, then scoop one up when it bumbles in there. Patience and smooth motions is the key, especially when there's no rush to catch and move them.
Yes, sadly. I can watch it on the computer downstairs, so I will try to watch it later today. :good:

(I’ll try the net/good method if the method that Co Op didn’t work)

——

I can definitely tell that the one I moved from my 29g to my 20g is much more mature than the original ones. He/she is much bigger and has better color.

Sounds good. The Tetra heater is now on my list. ?

Yeesh those are hard to see! ?

———

The 1 Cory I removed from the 29g is doing well with the other 4 in the 20g.

I wouldn’t do that. May hurt their barbs.

I possibly didn't phrase that correctly.
They stick out sharp spines from behind their gills and dorsal fin. And also release a venom, that happens to be self poisoning.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back