"Interactiv" fish

@Nuttawet You stated that you wanted to get a couple of Pandas. I strongly suggest against getting just two as they are VERY interactive and fast fish. With just two they will 'bother' other fish by wanting to play and will likely cause stress for some types of fish. With Pandas never just go with one or two. Three is the minimum group and five is better.

Also PLEASE don't keep Pandas in a tank with cichlids as they are likely to be killed as they will try to interact with the cichlids making them easy prey.

Another thing about Panda Garras, make sure to have a lid on the tank. They will jump out.

They can actually even climb, using the suction on their chest, and mouth… I think @WhistlingBadger … had a video of one climbing up the glass above the water, on one of his tanks…
I have 5 in an open tank… fingers crossed, but I think giving them an interesting environment, so they don’t get bored, and having emergent plants lining the walls, with hang on pots, has so far worked for me, at keeping them in the tank

They can actually even climb, using the suction on their chest, and mouth… I think @WhistlingBadger … had a video of one climbing up the glass above the water, on one of his tanks…
I have 5 in an open tank… fingers crossed, but I think giving them an interesting environment, so they don’t get bored, and having emergent plants lining the walls, with hang on pots, has so far worked for me, at keeping them in the tank
I had one in a 55 gallon for a long time without a lid. One morning I found him on the floor dried up. So I don't think I'll keep them again without a lid.

If you were to make an interesting 60 liter aquarium with Garra Pandas, what other fish would you put in?

If you were to make an interesting 60 liter aquarium with Garra Pandas, what other fish would you put in?
More Panda! ;) Just kidding... well mostly...

First let's look at what Pandas like. First they like a decent water flow and will swim into the flow just pretty much swimming just enough to stay still and then dip out of it and come back to it. It is almost like they are surfing. This means that you do not want other fish that reside toward the top of the tank that want slow water as you would probably want to put the faster current at the top section of the tank to make the pandas happy and also cause surface agitation for better oxygenation of the water.

Pandas also seem to like bubbles and will chase and play with them. Even if using sand as a substrate I would suggest adding an under gravel filter plate with an air stone in the air riser. The Pandas will love you and this will also help increase surface agitation. You could do the same with just an air stone but an air riser for under gravel filtration can have a fan outlet to spread the area of bubbles.

It is also VERY important that nitrates be kept below 20 PPM as they are susceptible to nitrates and a level of 20 PPM can be fatal. 15 PPM is OK but strive for 10 PPM or less for better health and longer life. Regular water changes are essential for this. Under proper conditions they can live 6 years or more.

People think they are loach or cat fish but they are not. They are more in line with minnows and carp. They are great for controlling algae, even black beard, but also need a varied diet including proteins.
As to other fish stay away from cichlids! as they are predators and Pandas are just too fearless and curious to have a good chance in a tank unless full sized at 3-3.5 inches. Putting a Panda in a tank at the probable purchase size of 1/2 -3/4 inch is going to almost always result in a dead fish even with cichlids that are just 2-3 inches.

Here is a care guide for these awesome beasties.

Here is a quote as to possible tank mates.
Aqurarium Breeder said:
Generally, Cherry barbs, Endlers, Southern platyfish, Tetras, Royal Farlowella, Albino Bristlenose Pleco, Pygmy Cories, Otocinclus Catfish, Harlequin Rasboras, Zebra Danio, Medaka Ricefish,Yunnanilus cruciatus, Endlers tend to be good tank mates for the Panda Garra. Some other good tank mates are hillstream Loaches, Red-tailed rasboras, and White clouds.

the more you describe them to me the more I'm falling in love!!
I could have a 38 liter aquarium or even a 60 (the problem is the height, I'm 47 cm.)
For the roommates he also talks about Tetras. In your opinion which species of Tetras would be suitable for one Panda Garra?
And the barbels only the cherry ones?
Otherwise in fact I could think of the poecilids that I have never excluded but I thought only males (my favorites would be the swordtails but maybe they are too naughty among males) Male and female poecilids in a ratio of 1:3 scare me because of too much reproduction.

I imagine that macropodus opercularis are not suitable for a water movement issue or could they adapt?

Panda Garra are one of my favorite fish, too. I think they'd be fine with most tetras. M. opercularis? I'm not sure. I've thought about adding a pair to my river Paludarium, but I think they're too aggressive. Seriously Fish says they sometimes live in upland hill streams, so I suspect they'd be OK as long as your water movement isn't extreme.

Panda Garra are one of my favorite fish, too. I think they'd be fine with most tetras. M. opercularis? I'm not sure. I've thought about adding a pair to my river Paludarium, but I think they're too aggressive. Seriously Fish says they sometimes live in upland hill streams, so I suspect they'd be OK as long as your water movement isn't extreme.
With Rainbow Shiner or Tanichthys albonubes ?
I made a specific post, if you feel like answering there maybe it's more correct.
Have the opercularis given you problems between male and female or with other fish?

Nah, I've never seen any aggression in them, toward one another or other fish. I always kept them in groups of at least four, and never in a tank smaller than 55g, so for whatever that's worth. They'd probably do great with T. albonubes. I've never kept rainbow shiners, but if they're typical minnows with no weird personality quirks, I suspect they'd be fine there too.

Personally I don't think Pandas would be good in your tank. Even though it is a 55 gallon there is no where that much water in the thing and Pandas can get to 3+ inches. They also, from my experience, seem to like vertical space in their play. Also, as is often the case, 2 is not a good number. There should be at least three. If I ever get rid of my cichlids and go back to Pandas I will get 3 or 5 and have nothing else in my tank except my rope fish. Just having 1 is a big no-no as they are too playful to be alone and will pester and stress other fish. With at least 3 they will tend to just pester each other playing leaving other fish mostly alone.

Obviously I love the beasties and they are like the perfect tank maintainers even eating black beard algae and, if another fish allows, picking off and eating external parasites.

Personally I don't think Pandas would be good in your tank. Even though it is a 55 gallon there is no where that much water in the thing and Pandas can get to 3+ inches. They also, from my experience, seem to like vertical space in their play. Also, as is often the case, 2 is not a good number. There should be at least three. If I ever get rid of my cichlids and go back to Pandas I will get 3 or 5 and have nothing else in my tank except my rope fish. Just having 1 is a big no-no as they are too playful to be alone and will pester and stress other fish. With at least 3 they will tend to just pester each other playing leaving other fish mostly alone.

Obviously I love the beasties and they are like the perfect tank maintainers even eating black beard algae and, if another fish allows, picking off and eating external parasites.
I assume you're responding to the OP, not to me? I was saying I've considered adding a pair of paradise fish, but decided against it. Panda Garra were never on the radar for my current tank. Reading what I actually wrote, I can understand the confusion. But no, I wouldn't add a single pair of panda Garra. They enjoy each other's company too much.

After seeing this thread I am possibly looking to add 6 Panda Garra to my tank. They seem very interesting.

75 Gallon with Tetras and Yoyo Loaches.

My 10 Yoyo Loaches are also very playful with one another and they also leave the Tetras alone.

I am thinking the 2 species will “play” together.

After seeing this thread I am possibly looking to add 6 Panda Garra to my tank. They seem very interesting.

75 Gallon with Tetras and Yoyo Loaches.

My 10 Yoyo Loaches are also very playful with one another and they also leave the Tetras alone.

I am thinking the 2 species will “play” together.
I doubt they'll play together; my pandas always played among themselves and pretty much ignored everybody else. But with that many yoyos, I doubt they'll bother each other.

My pandas play with anyone who wants to play... one of my Vietnamese Lizard Hillsteams regularly plays with the pandas, and one of the Reticulated Hillsteams plays once in a while, as does my smaller Flying Fox... I have 2 18 inch tall pagotas in my Asian tank, & they have become jungle gyms for the pandas & their playmates...

I'm considering trying a group ( I order 5 at a time, & they usually come in tiny, but they are brave, & grow fast )in a different tank with some Clown Loaches ( Clowns are currently about 2 inches )
IMG_5185.jpeg
IMG_5182.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back