The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
After about 9 years or so, it looks like my Hydor inline heater on the Eheim 2215 Classic canister filter is failing. It's a 200W heater with 1/2" hoses, on my 40B tank.

It appears this heater is no longer available, so any suggestions for a replacement? I want nothing fancy, just a good heater that keeps a steady temp, set it and forget it. And of course, it has to be available in the States.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
M-

From the bit of research I've done, there aren't many inline external heaters for sale nowadays, and the few I DO see are cheap quality garbage with poor reviews...I really don't want an internal filter :/

I love those Hydors. My oldest us running for about 18 years maybe a tad konger. I have 2 NIB on the shelf as well. All 3 have run fine for more than 9 years.

I found 2 x 200w here for $69.99 each https://aqua-dreams.com/products/hydor-inline-heater-for-cannister-filters-sumps
they do not give the hose size.

Here is a 1/2 hose one on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/185260268356?epid=1037863532&hash=item2b225f5b44:g:XxMAAOSwBNFh5Z2V

A few more on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Hydor+Inline+heater&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks so much!...I searched Ebay, as a matter of fact, but only saw ones listed in the UK

I too like them alot, up until now, highly reliable and easy to use...thanks again

NP- for some reason I have always had a knack for finding things using Google. I think it comes from a project back in the late 1980s which involved building multiple investment related databases on an in-house PC network. It also involved how they can be linked and then queried. I had a good friend who was getting his Ph.D. in computer sciences I hired to manage the project. He was an expert on this and he taught me how to do queries. I was merely an admin on the project but he was a near genius. Some of it apparently stuck with me.

I see it as a challenge to find things, especially good information on the net. Most of what is out there is what comes from the back end of a horse.

If you want fun, try finding some of the parts for discontinued Eheim canisters. I actually get stuff sent from the UK when the shipping isn't insane.

Interesting...I'm usually fairly good with online searches, as well, used it alot at work when I purchased commodities

I haven't looked yet, but I wonder if the Eheim 2215 Classic is still available....I've enjoyed mine, and luckily haven't had to search for parts (yet)

Yes they are available. I got into Eheim canisters when they came out with the Pro II line. I bought two. Later on after they were dicontinues I bought 3 more NIB on Ebay. Four are 2026 and one is a 2028. Three of 2026 are in use and the 4th is for backup and spare parts. The 2028 I never put into use because I was never able to get the tank for it dedicated properly. It has been a temporary tank for almost a decade now :-(

Over the years I have used almost every brand of heater and had almost all of them fail sooner or later. The one excetion has been the Hydor inlines.

Good to know....glad you saw my thread, gonna get a new Hydor ordered now

I have an Aquael Flow 500w (See here) on my 450l. If I'm honest I'm not sure how effective it is - I have a 300w Fluval E Series in the tank too as I put it in as a backup ages ago incase the inline failed, so impossible to know how the Aquael would fair single handed without turning the Fluval off.

But a possible option for you.

After about 9 years or so, it looks like my Hydor inline heater on the Eheim 2215 Classic canister filter is failing. It's a 200W heater with 1/2" hoses, on my 40B tank.

It appears this heater is no longer available, so any suggestions for a replacement? I want nothing fancy, just a good heater that keeps a steady temp, set it and forget it. And of course, it has to be available in the States.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
M-
And I've just noticed the "in the US" bit so I may not have helped! Not sure Aquael is available in the US. They're a Polish company and even availability in the UK can sometimes be limited...

And I've just noticed the "in the US" bit so I may not have helped! Not sure Aquael is available in the US. They're a Polish company and even availability in the UK can sometimes be limited...
Yes, unfortunately this heater is not available in the States, but thank you for your input, regardless :)

Hey Matt. No I haven't had my inline heater hooked up since I moved from Grayslake. Matter of fact I think I gave it away to someone. I just use in tank heaters now. I have heard of the brand aquael and have tried to get a couple filters but they're very hard to find because; as someone else stated, they're purely an oversea company and no one seems to bring them over to the states.

The majority of my heaters are Finnex with external controls. Make it easier to adjust when needed and I haven't had any issues with failures. Been using them for 6 years now. As another model dies out on me I replace with the Finnex titanium heater.

Good luck finding a replacement.

Hey Matt. No I haven't had my inline heater hooked up since I moved from Grayslake. Matter of fact I think I gave it away to someone. I just use in tank heaters now. I have heard of the brand aquael and have tried to get a couple filters but they're very hard to find because; as someone else stated, they're purely an oversea company and no one seems to bring them over to the states.

The majority of my heaters are Finnex with external controls. Make it easier to adjust when needed and I haven't had any issues with failures. Been using them for 6 years now. As another model dies out on me I replace with the Finnex titanium heater.

Good luck finding a replacement.
Thanks Nat, got another Hydor ordered from Ebay...

Glad you were able to find one. I always had mine hooked up to a thermostat so I could be sure of the temperature as when I initially bought it years ago there were some reviews of it failing and cooking the tanks. I am always the better to be safe than sorry type.

I also noticed a shortage of inline options. My problem was more unique though since I have an ultramaxx 2000 which has like 3/4 thick tubing. So I only found one in line that came with the right hardware for it and that was a Datoo 300w heater.

For me it has been rock solid. Digital controls and it kicks off if temp goes 1F over your setting.

Most reactions

trending

Back