Inherited Loaches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Saer

Reaction score
Hi there

I have just inherited a 200L tank with some corys, cardinal tetras, a male betta, a single clown loach and a single yo-yo loach.

Am I correct in thinking these 2 loaches should not be living together, and they should be in groups rather than singles? Is it ok for the Betta to be here too?

I was thinking of getting more so they have friends but I only have the 200l tank which they came, another, 100l tank and a 54l tank. I think the 100l would not be big enough for one yo-yo, let alone multiples if I tried to split them between the tanks.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I correct in the above? or can they all live together in the 200L?

If I have to re home them them up the only place they could go is the pet shop, but being fully grown I am not sure they would take them.

Any advice appreciated.

You are correct that the two loach species need to be in groups.
Clown loaches get huge and need a much bigger tank than the 200 litre. a tank with a footprint of 180 x 60 cm is considered the minimum for clown loaches. The one you inherited needs rehoming.
Yoyo loaches don't get as big but they still need a tank with a footprint of at least 120 x 45 cm. If your tank is that size, get some more, but if it's smaller I would rehome this loach as well.

Bettas are not community fish and should be kept alone. If you can squeeze another tank around 20 to 25 litres, that would be suitable, otherwise I'd think about rehoming the bettas as well - he should be easy as everyone loves bettas.

You could try advertising the fish on https://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/ especially if you put the word 'free' in the title.

I agree with @essjay. YoYo loaches also need to be in groups of 6 or more - your tank defiantly cant support that.

Better fish are not community fish and shouldn't be kept as such. If you have a smaller 5g (21L) tank, I would move the betta into that one.

The Corys and the Cardinal tetras should be good in that tank. Does it have a sand substrate?

Thank you both for your replies, the local fish shop has agreed to take the loaches and I have a small 12L tank or a 54L tank which the Betta could go in, they are usually my nursery and quarantine tanks.

The substrate is JBL Manado, it says it is ok for bottom dwellers, would you agree with them?

No, I looked at it and the grains are to big. (Especially for Corydoras)

I suggest getting something much for fine. Play sand is a great choice, as it looks great and is cheap.

If you intend keeping the cories and increasing their numbers (they need decent-sized groups), sand is really your only substrate option. Plant substrates tend to be problematic for several reasons. Either inert aquarium river sand or play sand are good substrates for cories. And most any other fish for that matter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back