Information On This Species Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220775719171&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Is it a peaceful community fish? Would it eat my cardinal tetra? How big can they get? What do they eat?

Any help is appreciated. I have searched but there are so many differnt types I get confused.

Fundulopanchax gardneri sp.
Please read my overview,
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/280786-care-and-breeding-of-fundulopanchax-gardneri-nigerianum-sp/

GAR are for the most part peaceful and can make good community fish. They can get to around 6cms and dont often bother anything, but having said that they can be quite boisterous.
Observation is the key here.
Regards
C

Thanks I read the info. Would it be best to get one female and one male or two of the same sex? Also do you think they would be ok with Platy, Cardinal tetra and one female Betta. All my fish get along great at the mo. The betta does not bother any of the others at all.

What exactly do I feed them? Do I have to give live food?

Hi Marie,
Looking at your stocking list, they should be fine. But I would keep an eye on things especially the Betta. The flowing finnage may or may not attract attention. Again observation is the key, From your profile I think you were wishing to re-house the fighter anyway.
Fundulopanchax gardneri will become accustomed to flake and frozen food, but do feed some live as and when you can.
A sexed trio is usually the way to go with these (1 Male : 2 Females)

You may just be in luck here as mauy on this forum has some juvenile's he's looking to move on. (Not too sure of the strain or location code but they are GAR) I feel you should contact him asap...you may well get a good deal. They will be small but they will be better for your tank and they will not bother anything at that size.
Regards
C

No I have a female fighter and am very happy with her in with my community fish. I was gonna get a male and have him on his own.

No ....Fundulopanchax gardneri are not considered an annual killifish species. Their natural habitats are not prone to dry seasons such as Nothobranchius. They will live for around 3 years under aquarium conditions (if they are correct).

Cut from your other post;
Could I get two killifish with these?
I would still opt for a sexed trio Marie to be honest, The male will be more interested in his little harem as opposed to being on his own and may well turn to some bad traits out of boredom.

One last thing to mention, these fish (as with most Killifish species) are excellent jumpers. they can leave a tank through the most smallest of gaps. Make sure you block all exits for cables etc with filter wool or similar to stop them escaping.
Regards
C

No ....Fundulopanchax gardneri are not considered an annual killifish species. Their natural habitats are not prone to dry seasons such as Nothobranchius. They will live for around 3 years under aquarium conditions (if they are correct).

Cut from your other post;
Could I get two killifish with these?
I would still opt for a sexed trio Marie to be honest, The male will be more interested in his little harem as opposed to being on his own and may well turn to some bad traits out of boredom.

One last thing to mention, these fish (as with most Killifish species) are excellent jumpers. they can leave a tank through the most smallest of gaps. Make sure you block all exits for cables etc with filter wool or similar to stop them escaping.
Regards
C

Bleedin Nora!!!!!! What do I do when I clean the tank? I often have the lid off while I'm cleaning and in and out with fresh water.

I have hatchetfish in one of my tanks so have to deal with this too; what you do is keep the lid as closed as you can, leaving yourself enough space to work; move slowly so as not to surprise them, and keep your fingers crossed!

If you ever have to pick a fish up off the floor, take a second to wet your hands before you pick it up as dry hands will damage its slime coat and leave it open to infections, like fungus.

I have hatchetfish in one of my tanks so have to deal with this too; what you do is keep the lid as closed as you can, leaving yourself enough space to work; move slowly so as not to surprise them, and keep your fingers crossed!

If you ever have to pick a fish up off the floor, take a second to wet your hands before you pick it up as dry hands will damage its slime coat and leave it open to infections, like fungus.

I am like an elephant in a china shop cleaning the tank lol. I did have to pick a platy up off the floor, I have 3 chihuahuas and the poor thing was covered in dog hair! He was fine though. I'll have to cover up these holes though.

I bought a male and two females. Thanks for the advice. And my holes are covered now lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back