Inbreeding Of Guppies/other Animals

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The answer to that question daize is where they come from and their "stock".

there are many myths about inbreeding guppy's as eaglesaquarium  mentioned  where they come from and their "stock".
inbreeding the fish  is not so much of a problem,

inbreeding can or may make the fish weaker  90% of the time  a weak  deformed fry or sick fry it  as very little  to do with inbreeding 
there is so many factors that affects the fish,  NO fish keeper or expert will convince me that all of these problems with guppy's or livebearers is to do with inbreeding alone   

Look to the science? What?  Inbreeding and guppy..... First question to ask is from where do most guppy in aquariums originate- and the answer you will find is they are farmed. Try finding pure bred endlers or wild caught fish you know for certain are just that.

In any case-

Inbreeding depression and genetic load of sexually selected traits: how the guppy lost its spots
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00511.x/full

Strong inbreeding depression in male mating behaviour in a poeciliid fish
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01765.x/full

Temporal change in inbreeding depression in life-history traits in captive populations of guppy (Poecilia reticulata): evidence for purging?
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02224.x/full

Ebtering "inbreeding and guppy fish" into Google Scholar gave back 1,880 returns. Scirus gave fewer.

I'd figure inbreeding would be as bad for another species as it would us. We all need to vary our genes and help filter out come of the bad stuff. This is how you end up with stronger humans/animals/amphebians/so on. You can't expect to get a good healthy pet when you keep mix it with pets you already know arent well off.

of course you can expect to get good healthy Guppies from inbreeding one method I use is to run to tanks of the same Guppies let them flock breed, once every few years mix Guppies from both tanks this method works very well,  

In Iceland they have an app so you know if you're about to breed with a relative... Pity fish don't have access to that. :p

I suppose one could say we started off with inbreeding. But I don't agree with starting off as a microorganism. Adam and Eve had children...

Sebul said:
I'd figthow
ualre inbreeding would be as bad for another species as it would us. We all need to vary our genes and help filter out come of the bad stuff. This is how you end up with stronger humans/animals/amphebians/so on. You can't expect to get a good healthy pet when you keep mix it with or any one ou pets you already know arent well off.
ok you figure  inbreeding would be bad for fish , so  you know very li 0ttle about  inbreeding  fish,  if you  or any one would  like to challenge me inbreeding Guppies fill free to do so,  lets see how long we can keep  one strain going for

TallTree01 said:

There used to be a moderator here, Ludwig Venter who keeps guppies by the thousands(15 000 lately). He keeps them in ponds outside and according to him all of them were started from 3 males and 5 females in 1995.  Here's a video of some of his "inbred" guppies: http://s524.photobucket.com/user/LudwigVenter/media/Guppies001_zps073feff9.mp4.html

They don't appear disadvantaged compared to non inbred ones? Confused
laugh.png

Yeah, that's what he says too, beautiful and healthy despite they all come from the same 8 adults he got 18 years ago 
rolleyes.gif

Well, he is a legend. He musty have special anti-inbreeding-side-effects-potion. :D

[SIZE=16pt]There are many ways of dealing with inbreeding  for example keeping  large Numbers  outside in ponds  as [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]Ludwig have[/SIZE][SIZE=16pt] done so with great success.  Keeping them in outside ponds is almost like a natural averment, when kept in large Numbers inbreeding of the fish is not a problem, the adult fish have more of a choice to pick from meaning that not all mattings will be of brother to sister) also mattings among the different generations can only be good for the fish and can improve the gene pool, inbreeding can and do occur in the wild.  Unrelated or related fish can sometimes produce weak or sick offspring, in the wild nature takes care of such problems there will always be Predatory fish or creatures that prey on the vulnerable its survival of the fittest. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]in the home aquarium inbreeding can easily be controlled and as I have mentioned earlier you[/SIZE][SIZE=16pt] can expect to get good healthy Guppies from inbreeding them, one method I use is to run to tanks of the same Guppies let them flock breed, once every few years mix from both tanks this method works very well, or select the best male and female to breed from,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] Or simply run one tank let them flock breed and when or if needed remove any deformed or sick fish, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] By using this simple guide inbreeding Guppies is not problem, and just to mention Guppies are not to over breed and weakened by too much inbreeding the inbreeding side of it as very little to do with the stat of some of Guppies that are sold these days.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Always breed or from good stock remove any weak sick or deformed fry/fish, [/SIZE]

I wouldn't like to breed with a relative, that's for sure..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back