Impulse Buy!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have been wanting a puffer fish for a while as well, but most of them get pretty big, right? Would they be compatible with an orange chromide group?

The little Chromide took to the flake food really well. He runs away whenever I approach the tank, but he is settling in with the female guppies really well. The salinity is only at 1.002 at the moment, but I will be ramping it up to 1.006 or so over the course of the month via water changes. I added some more places to hide so he would be more comfortable, and put in a fake plant until I can get a real plant that does well in brackish. He will get frozen and live foods over the course of the week as well. I will post pics tomorrow.

I found a place that has more orange chromides! I will have a friend pick them up for me. They have 6, at $6.99 each. I might just scoop the whole batch up. Also, here are some pics of the little guy I got yesterday.

Attachments

• 20200903_140126_HDR.jpg
    20200903_140126_HDR.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200903_140132.jpg
    20200903_140132.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200903_123347.jpg
    20200903_123347.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 57
I found a place that has more orange chromides! I will have a friend pick them up for me. They have 6, at $6.99 each. I might just scoop the whole batch up. Also, here are some pics of the little guy I got yesterday.
Cute as a bug's ear, get all you can, that's what I say.
(providing you have adequate space and the male/female ratio is favorable).
Also, how long have they been at the store?
Have you seen them? Remember to quarantine. Blahblahblah. Speaking from experience.

Cute as a bug's ear, get all you can, that's what I say.
(providing you have adequate space and the male/female ratio is favorable).
Also, how long have they been at the store?
Have you seen them? Remember to quarantine. Blahblahblah. Speaking from experience.
I just got a lead on a completely new tank for them, a 29. I will put a cycled filter on it. The store has had them less than 24 hrs, and I put a reserve on the fish to pick up tomorrow. Since they will be the only fish in the tank, I see no need to qt.

I just got a lead on a completely new tank for them, a 29. I will put a cycled filter on it. The store has had them less than 24 hrs, and I put a reserve on the fish to pick up tomorrow. Since they will be the only fish in the tank, I see no need to qt.
Sounds like a plan and for those little stunners I can't say I blame you.

I did have a bad experience getting fish right after they came in the store so I usually scope them out for a couple of weeks. (Green neon tetras... had been waiting for them to come along so I bought every one the day they came in. To be honest, it may have been my fault, who knows but they died within a few days.)
Anyways, you are prepared and I wasn't.
No QT is a huge plus.

But, as I said, cute as a button and if it's a "must have" fish hurry up and get them home so we can all see.

Sounds like a plan and for those little stunners I can't say I blame you.

I did have a bad experience getting fish right after they came in the store so I usually scope them out for a couple of weeks. (Green neon tetras... had been waiting for them to come along so I bought every one the day they came in. To be honest, it may have been my fault, who knows but they died within a few days.)
Anyways, you are prepared and I wasn't.
No QT is a huge plus.

But, as I said, cute as a button and if it's a "must have" fish hurry up and get them home so we can all see.

Like I said, these guys are so hard to track down. I am amazed that the store actually has them in. I can't not take this opportunity. Even though I told myself I wouldn't get anymore tanks. This will put me up to 13...

Avoiding qt is just a bonus at this point. I might add some endler males eventually, since they are also uirihailine and can withstand brackish waters. I will avoid getting any females, though, to avoid anymore livebearers breeding in my tankd.

Like I said, these guys are so hard to track down. I am amazed that the store actually has them in. I can't not take this opportunity. Even though I told myself I wouldn't get anymore tanks. This will put me up to 13...

Avoiding qt is just a bonus at this point. I might add some endler males eventually, since they are also uirihailine and can withstand brackish waters. I will avoid getting any females, though, to avoid anymore livebearers breeding in my tankd.
I'm excited for you. What species of fish is that cutie?

The Orange Chromides (Pseudetroplus maculatus) will be the main stars, although the Endlers Livebearers (Poecilia wingei) will add a bit more color to the tank.

Although it seems green spotted puffers do not get too big, although I do not know if they are very compatible with chromides. I know all can thrive in brackish water.

The Orange Chromides (Pseudetroplus maculatus) will be the main stars, although the Endlers Livebearers (Poecilia wingei) will add a bit more color to the tank.

Although it seems green spotted puffers do not get too big, although I do not know if they are very compatible with chromides. I know all can thrive in brackish water.
Thanks for the lesson. I'll have to look up what a Chromide is. No bother. I've always loved endlers, so bright and colorful.

Thanks for the lesson. I'll have to look up what a Chromide is. No bother. I've always loved endlers, so bright and colorful.
They aren't seen very often in the hobby, I think. They are a brackish water cichlid species. There are also Green Chromides, which get about 12" long and seem to have a mutually beneficial relationship with the Oranges.

They aren't seen very often in the hobby, I think. They are a brackish water cichlid species. There are also Green Chromides, which get about 12" long and seem to have a mutually beneficial relationship with the Oranges.
Okay, cichlids. How big do the orange ones get?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back