Im Not Too Good At This Aquascaping Business :/

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The last thing you want to do for a good aquascape is throw everything in randomly :)

Most bodies of water have some flow, which tends to 'sort' things by size and weight, so heavy things get dropped where the flow is slowest, usually on the inside of a curve and nearer the banks, and lighter materials will end up where the flow is fastest; out in the centre of the stream or lake, and on the outsides of bends.

So, decide whether you want a fast flowing stream or a slow moving lake (this will mostly depend on your fish), and where the water would be coming in and going out, if your tank was a section of it.

Then you can clump your stuff together in a natural way :)

so i moved everything about in an effort to get more height from the wood. below are some pictures of a way i got some more verticality. not sure about it but if nothing else it shows you a better shot of the wood im working with! opinions?

can very easily revert to how it looked originally just wanted to play around
smile.png

Attachments

• 2014-11-20 14.13.56.jpg
    2014-11-20 14.13.56.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 2014-11-20 14.14.05.jpg
    2014-11-20 14.14.05.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 125
so after hours of tinkering with layout i finally decided you guys were right
biggrin.png
it did look good how it was. so i put it back like that with a few small changes as suggested by some of you. et voila!

Attachments

• 2014-11-20 15.20.38.jpg
    2014-11-20 15.20.38.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 2014-11-20 15.20.58.jpg
    2014-11-20 15.20.58.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 108
That's looking much better now :)

Thanks for the link Shifty. I'll probably buy some from there, but I'm not convinced its Mattogrossense. I looked it up on a few sites and found this on Flowgrow.

Description: The origins of Myriophyllum mattogrossense lie in South-American wetlands. This species is relatively new as aquarium plant, even though its name has long been known in the hobby. The red milfoil Myriophyllum tuberculatum was (and sometimes still is) erroneously sold under the name M. mattogrossense for around 20 years. In 1994, red milfoil was correctly identified as M. tuberculatum by A.E. Orchard.
True M. mattogrossense is all green, and was first imported from Eduador by Christel Kasselmann in 1990. Its popularity has been growing ever since due to its beauty and easy cultivation. It is relatively often found in trade now.

fluttermoth said:
That's looking much better now
smile.png

why thank you :) im pretty pleased with it now. shall add some more pics when its grown out a bit and i got my first shoal of black ruby barbs in it. may even whack it in TOTM competition thread

Munroco said:
Thanks for the link Shifty. I'll probably buy some from there, but I'm not convinced its Mattogrossense. I looked it up on a few sites and found this on Flowgrow.

Description: The origins of Myriophyllum mattogrossense lie in South-American wetlands. This species is relatively new as aquarium plant, even though its name has long been known in the hobby. The red milfoil Myriophyllum tuberculatum was (and sometimes still is) erroneously sold under the name M. mattogrossense for around 20 years. In 1994, red milfoil was correctly identified as M. tuberculatum by A.E. Orchard.
True M. mattogrossense is all green, and was first imported from Eduador by Christel Kasselmann in 1990. Its popularity has been growing ever since due to its beauty and easy cultivation. It is relatively often found in trade now.

no worries! ah fair enough then. lies java plants! LIES! the green ones are nice no doubt but  the red ones are just beautiful if used right. would recommed java plants though. takes a while to get them as they ship over from singapore but with the 1st class postage (which costs you about 3.50) you tend to have them in about 1-2 weeks. good packaging too; arrive in top condition every time i have ordered.

As long as I get the red stuff, I don't really mind what they call it. My game name on Diablo is Javalad so its fated I think.

That's tidied it up nicely without looking too contrived :)

Munroco said:
As long as I get the red stuff, I don't really mind what they call it. My game name on Diablo is Javalad so its fated I think.

just dont buy the red ambulia. bought that before but its oh so fragile and hard to keep alive imo. myriophyllum holding up much better so far

ellena said:
That's tidied it up nicely without looking too contrived
smile.png

thank you kindly :) looking forward to growing it out for a month or so. thats when it should look its best!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back