I'm Losing Interest!

I have personally never experienced a loss of intrest. I'm 15, and I have been keeping fish since I was 4. When I do start to lose a bit of intrest, I switch things around, and get new fish ect. It always works.
 
I think most people go through it.

At one point I had 10 tanks running - down to 4 now. I really lost interest when I had a couple of tank disasters and lost my beloved plec collection, 2 oscars and a featherfin cat. Only recently have I got keen again. Even now I something think about selling up - keeping the community tank and nothing else but then the big fish do something endearing (like my oscars 'play' with my son and have him squealing with laughter) and I know I couldn't get rid.

I think there is a balance - have enough tanks to keep the fish you really want and not too many that the maintenance and expense over takes the enjoyment.

Hang in there!

(and welcome back Shelagh :))

Yeah tank disasters can definitely take the fun out of the hobby- i think thats partly what happened with me. Last year i battled with fish TB in one of my tanks and the disease wiped out 90% of the fish in the tank (and it was a lot of fish- countless guppys, platys, neon tetras and even corys died) and it took many months to finally get rid of. The whole incident took a big knock to my overall enjoyment in the hobby and even now i haven't really recovered (i became rather desensitized to the fish as i had to euthanize so many to try and eradicate the disease- in the worst day i have to euthanize 12 guppys/platys in just one day). So many fish lost, so much money down the drain and so much stress & worry...I think when i do my big tank re-arrangement later this year things will hopefully start to look up more.
 
I cant believe people have 5 tanks etc

Do you all live in mansions LOL

Although saying that, I have 3, a small coldfish one in the kitchen, a 3 ft established for over a year and a 5ft ready to be filled so I can get rid of the 3ft

Id keep the 3ft and make the 5ft a marine tank, but I'd need around 1k to get it tip top and stocked LOL
 
I'm afraid that 5 tanks is not much Stuhyde. I have about 20 running right now in a typical moderate home in the suburbs. What I do have is stands that hold 2 tanks above each other and my children are no longer living at home here so I have converted one of their old bedrooms to a fish room. I am quickly running out of space but could not pass up a "classic" 20 gallon stainless steel framed tank at last weekend's auction. Most of my tanks are smaller sizes like the several 10 and 20 gallon tanks that are each devoted to a single breeding species of fish.
 
cheers for the replys chaps!

I've just sold two tanks ones going back to a mate so just leaving my larger tank

I;m actually moving out of marital home and have just got a great house to rent off my mates dad, loads of space and a massive garage and mates rates cos his sons my best mate and hes now rich from singing!! happy days

so I;ll take my dog Flash, my snake and my bigger tank to this house and as and when money dictates I;ll get a few more, i really want an aro and stingray so my new goal is to get a tank big enough for that!! plus i need to get atank for my L25 as hes the only plec out of a load that I;m keeping as my plec tank is going as weell

looking forward to the quiet life!!!
 
Not many of my mates know i keep fish, well not to the extent i do, it doesn't really seem like a particularly big part of my life. More often than not its other things in life that dictate what you do, fish keeping to most is a hobby, or even more often than not, a single aquarium with a few pet fish. a lot of people wouldn't miss it out of their lives. personally, i would, its something i've always done and been interested in, yeah i've had breaks, big breaks! years! i've not always had the space to keep as many tanks that i'd like, or the fish i'd like! actually, i still don't.
after you have had all these different fish, big ones, small ones, rare ones and even the sly neon, its hard to find something different, something that makes you excited to see it or own it! i often find myself walking through fish shops past tanks where people are like 'wow look t them' or 'wow thats big' and i subconsiously stand there a think, well.... thats tiny!, thats boring, they're just too common and oh not more of them! it takes something, different, rare, massive or something i've been looking for, for ages!
thinking about it know its a bit bad that i look at some really beautiful fish and think 'they're just boring' but i do!
like you simon i want, and hopefully are soon getting a ray and arowana tank, its something that a lot of serious fish keepers want to do!
i'm worried what i will think after a few years of keeping them, will i think, oh im bored of these? who knows!
i want a peaceful life too!!

Dave
 
Happens a lot. I had 4 tanks goings before Xmas now am down to 2. But was walking around pet@home yesterday buying a hamster and almost got a new tank lol.
Am happy with 2 tanks atm. The lack of really good fish shops in N.ireland has dented my interest in the hobby
 
well along with three tanks that have gone I;ve sold 3 ancistrus today, a BGK,Tyre track eel, 2 channa asciata, 1 pulchra if the guy picks it up and loads more going!! lol

In my new house I;m only able to have it two years I don;t know whether to put my big tank in the garage liek it is now or in the living room??? even though I;m renting its a mates dads house and I don;t want to feel like I;m wrecking it or something
 
Put it in the living room, you'll forget it in the garage!

Fish tanks don't wreck houses they make them :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top