I'm Losing Interest!

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
6,671
Reaction score
438
Points
83
Location
Wirral UK
:crazy:

No idea why but I can feel myself losing a bit of interest in my fish

I've been running 6 tanks for yrs and fish overall for about 18 yrs

selling two tanks on saturday and one more the week after and I emptied one other tank to put a python in, got one more to sell and then just leaving myself with two to see how I get on

I;m worried about whats happening to me lol :unsure:

has this happened to anyone before and did they get the passion back? :blink:
 
yeah been there,got the T shirt,
ive really ignored the fish for about 3/4 wks lately - few other things took priority, but last night i sat looking at them and felt really sorry just after i took about a kilo of hair algae out of my community tank :blush:

it certainly wont hurt you to take a break from it for a while, and after the length of time youve been in the hobby i dont think theres any fear of you giving up completley,and dont let anyone make you feel guilty about a break either... just think, when you get back into full swing ( which im confident you will) youll have to buy a few new tanks... and nothing more motivating than tank shopping ;)

you have contributed a heck of a lot to the forum so make sure you continue to do that, i see after my break there are a lot of new members and each one would beniefit greatly from your experience ( and the old ones too :D )

here to support you in what ever you decide :)


shelagh xxxxxxxxxx
 
Been there mate, cut down on alot of tanks before, then somewhere along the line, my interest has come back and I start again, currently going thru it, sold one tank already, selling another to leave myself with just 3 tanks, it cuts down the maintenance time and makes it seem easier.
 
I think [for what it's worth] we all go through phases. I've been off work for three months and have gone from 1 tank to 5....kept me happy....lol. I go back to work today and part of me thinks **** what have I done, but I enjoy my fishes.....and I will find time to put them into my routine. If it helps to break down some tanks....then do it! Maybe you're just waiting for inspiration to strike.....and no doubt it will!!!!

Lisa x

ps....Welcome back Shelagh.
 
Yep, just coming out of a lost interest spell. Around christmas the interest faded and the fish weren't being as cared for as they should of been, in that time i shut down a tank. I left one up and eventually in the past 2-3 weeks my interest has returned all fish are happy to see me!
 
ive just been through a spell like that...sadly my total idiocy caused the death of around 120 of my fish (lack of thinking, hung a plant of the aquarium, watered it and something leaked in the tank poisoning the fish ad stressing the rest to death with ich) but im back in full swing now and trying to fell less guilty!
 
I've been focusing on reptiles more too...Getting back to more fish stuff now too though.
 
I'm not interested in the fish as i used to be. My problem though is that i am stuck with 3 large fish tanks- i can't downgrade because;
a. I have 2 common pleco's and a sailfin and none of them get along with each other, so must be kept separately in their own large tanks.
b. I can't get rid of the pleco's as i know no one i can trust to look after them properly.
c. I spent a lot of money buying my current 3 tanks and can't justify the money spending more on fish tanks.

I try and keep up with the tanks maintenance as best i can, but i am planning on rehoming a lot of my fish over the course of the year so that the tanks will be understocked and only contain more interesting fish (i have a lot of fish overall but most of them are small identical looking shoaling species). I also have plans to upgrade my kitchen (which is where the 3 big tanks are) which will also result in the tanks being moved around; i'm hoping with a more organized and better looking layout overall, less fish to look after and some new species i will find a lot more enjoyment in the hobby- right now though i'm pretty much just maintaining what i've got. I do like my pond & goldfish a lot though :) .
 
i started keeping fish as i was leaving primary school, so whats that,i was 11...erm.... only 12 years ago! from then and now i had roughly a 3 year break, i don't know why, must of lost intrest, then somethiong clicks, something missing from your day to day life! its your fish's!
im constantly looking for new fish, tanks, equipments and challenges!
no doubt sooner or later the intrest will come back, once you have kept fish, especially some of the nice ones you've kept simon you cant walk away from them for ever! not a chance!
if a break from it is what it takes, then thats what it takes. but you'll be back!

Dave
 
i found myself doing this some time ago but went marine its a sure cure
 
I think we all go through something like this, i also started around 12years old keeping fish, then i went to spain at 17-18years old and obviously gave up, came back and my sister had my tank,left it until around in garden for another 2yrs before getting into it again, still got the same tank from when i was 12,still with fish in :lol:
Family life and relationships can take there toll also making problems so yes sometimes its good to take a break, you can always get into again if thats what you want, as said maybe just have one tank, remember if theres too many tanks doing all maintainence and food bills/elec bills it then seems to over take the enjoyment, unless you very passionate about it that i think will take its toll, have one tank, easy quick maintainence should make u enjoy again

ps hello shela good to see you back :hey:
 
i still have my very first tank aswel! all be it rebuilt but its only a 2x1x1!
oh good to see ya again shelagh!
going to pick up my new, 2nd delhezi bichir at half 2, thats sure to keep me intrested for a little while longer!
 
:crazy:

No idea why but I can feel myself losing a bit of interest in my fish

I've been running 6 tanks for yrs and fish overall for about 18 yrs

selling two tanks on saturday and one more the week after and I emptied one other tank to put a python in, got one more to sell and then just leaving myself with two to see how I get on

I;m worried about whats happening to me lol :unsure:

has this happened to anyone before and did they get the passion back? :blink:

I think its part of the natural cycle of fishkeeping, sometimes it all seems like just another chore & then life can throw you a curve ball & you end up wondering if its all worth the effort.

Are there any really good LFS or aquariums near you? A relaxed few hours by yourself looking at all the different fishies & tanks may help to re-ignite the spark a little? Or maybe you could try a small marine tank for something different?
 
I've had this happen a couple of times, usually it turns out that I'm just unhappy with my fish. Like now, I'm rehoming my convict because instead of being more sociable like I thought he'd be (and interesting to watch) he turned out to be an ###### that eats any dither fish I put in with him, beats on my bristlenose for no reason and spends the rest of the time hiding from me, only darting out to eat before fleeing back to the driftwood.

That's why I've decided to go with a tank of mostly female bettas (something I know I love) and a few new fish that seem like little personalities, and why the next tank I set up is going to be fancy goldfish. Simple, but I've always liked them and quite frankly I sometimes get a little tired of some of the hassle of tropical fish.
 
I think most people go through it.

At one point I had 10 tanks running - down to 4 now. I really lost interest when I had a couple of tank disasters and lost my beloved plec collection, 2 oscars and a featherfin cat. Only recently have I got keen again. Even now I something think about selling up - keeping the community tank and nothing else but then the big fish do something endearing (like my oscars 'play' with my son and have him squealing with laughter) and I know I couldn't get rid.

I think there is a balance - have enough tanks to keep the fish you really want and not too many that the maintenance and expense over takes the enjoyment.

Hang in there!

(and welcome back Shelagh :))
 

Most reactions

Back
Top