Identifying Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FawnN

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify this Gourami?  My local fish store has the healthiest fish, but not so great on knowing what they are called.  He says this is a Snakesin, but I don't believe they are based on my research.  Also, it looks like a have a male and female.  The male is super dark blue, while the female is lighter in color and seems really fat.  Picture below.  I know they are bubble nesters when it comes to breeding, but how easy are they to breed? 

FatFemaleGourami450.jpg

Thats a blue gourami, or opaline gourami or three spot gourami 
smile.png

Just to concur with sawickkib, I've bought that as both Opaline and Three Spot Gouarmi before.

Indeed that is a 3-spot (trichopodus trichopterus) and they come in a variety of colors :)

The photo fish also appears to be the female, she might be holding eggs. As far as how easy they are to breed I am not sure, I have never bred them before. 

Thanks everyone with the quick reply.  I really need to adjust my camera setting... picture is so yelllow.  

One other question... will this gourami be ok with a pair of Kribs?? 

I would say yes because they inhabit different areas of the tank.

You mention having a male and female, so I would say no to mixing them with cichlids.  The males of this species can be very territorial, which of course the cichlids are as well.  I didn't see the tank size mentioned, but if it is large (say 4 feet or more) that would be a bit different.  This species, which is Trichopodus trichopterus as others have noted, is not a small fish.  It usually attains four to five inches in an aquarium, though it has been known to reach six inches.  So it needs space.  Make sure the female has areas of refuge to escape from the male after spawning, which is fairly straightforward.

Byron.

bluesword23516 said:
The photo fish also appears to be the female, she might be holding eggs. As far as how easy they are to breed I am not sure, I have never bred them before. 
I definitely didn't intend to buy a male and female gourmai and really don't plan on breeding them.  I'll let nature take it's course. 

Byron said:
You mention having a male and female, so I would say no to mixing them with cichlids.  The males of this species can be very territorial, which of course the cichlids are as well.  I didn't see the tank size mentioned, but if it is large (say 4 feet or more) that would be a bit different.  This species, which is Trichopodus trichopterus as others have noted, is not a small fish.  It usually attains four to five inches in an aquarium, though it has been known to reach six inches.  So it needs space.  Make sure the female has areas of refuge to escape from the male after spawning, which is fairly straightforward.

Byron.

I have a 45 gallon tank (fully cycled for over a month now) and other than my gourami's, I only have corys and 2 albino plecos... taking my time with filling the tank.  I have a male and what appears to be a female gourami... and was looking to get a male and female pair of kribs (not breeding pair- siblings)... I'm planning on pairing them up later to breed in my 20 gallon, but was hoping they could hang out in my 45 gallon for awhile. 

FawnN said:
was looking to get a male and female pair of kribs (not breeding pair- siblings)

In my expierence it doesn't matter whether they are siblings or totally unrelated, if they are in the same tank they might well breed if they decide they like each other.

essjay said:

was looking to get a male and female pair of kribs (not breeding pair- siblings)

In my expierence it doesn't matter whether they are siblings or totally unrelated, if they are in the same tank they might well breed if they decide they like each other.

Hmmm... I was afraid of that.  I'll need to rethink that option then. 

My pair of 3 Spot Gourami's are very annoying!!  Anyone what them?  They are extremely skittish!  You can't get near the tank without them going crazy.  I personally don't like them. 

FawnN said:
My pair of 3 Spot Gourami's are very annoying!!  Anyone what them?  They are extremely skittish!  You can't get near the tank without them going crazy.  I personally don't like them. 

not really.. mine know when they are to be fed and will even attempt to do low jumps just to be first on the food haha

Most reactions

Back