Identifying baby rabbit snails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Narideth

Reaction score
So, I've been trying to find information online, and unfortunately rabbit snails are a little harder to come by as far as information is concerned.

I have 3 adult giant orange rabbit snails, and I've had them for several months. At least one if them is female, because she has dropped a few babies in that time, and I have at least two of them separated to keep an eye on, but my question is, do they show their adult coloring from a very young age?

These two babies both have similar shell colors and they don't have the bright orange bodies. They honestly look like chocolate rabbits, which would be somewhat disappointing. If anything, they have clear/brown bodies, but I don't know if that's normal and they will grow into the color or not. I'm concerned that the female was holding sperm from a mixed color tank wherever she was before the LFS had her, because all three are the same color morph of bright orange.

Does anyone know if it takes time for these baby rabbit snails to grow into their color, or should it show right away? I'll include some photos of the adults and the babies for comparison.

Baby.jpg

The oldest/largest baby, almost half an inch long, probably 2 months

Adult.jpg

Full grown adult

On the up side, pretty sure I saw a male/female mating just a few days ago, so maybe these will be the last non-orange babies I get? I'll just find them a home in a different tank when they get older.

Fairly sure they should display colour when they hatch. That looks like a Malaysian trumpet snail rather than a rabbit snail.

Hmm! You are right in that these look like trumpet snails, however these are the only two there are. The first I saw 2-3 months ago, and now I see only 2, and they are very different in size. According to online sources, trumpet snails can drop 70 babies at a time and I don't have any adults. Where did two different sized babies come from, when I've introduced no new plants to any of my tanks for months?

Hmm! You are right in that these look like trumpet snails, however these are the only two there are. The first I saw 2-3 months ago, and now I see only 2, and they are very different in size. According to online sources, trumpet snails can drop 70 babies at a time and I don't have any adults. Where did two different sized babies come from, when I've introduced no new plants to any of my tanks for months?
They live under the substrate for most of the day. I'm sure you would have quite a few more under there.

This vexes me greatly. I left a snail trap overnight in the tank these were found in to catch baby ramshorns only a few days ago and didn't get even a single trumpet snail. It caught two of my big rabbit snails, ramshorns, shrimp and seed shrimp, so I know it works, but there's no sign of an invasive snail species.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back