Ideas Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tune29

Reaction score
Hey

I have 6 neon tetra, 2 honey gouramis, 2 platties in my 1 month old 60 litre tank.
I have had the water tested and its perfect. i was wondering what is best to get next.
I dont wanna over croud the tank but it still looks empty to me.
Ideas please

Rob

Hey Tune :) You say that the tank has been running for 1 month- could you tell us a little more about it please? Such as has it been cycled yet and are your perimeters all stable? If you haven't cycled it, then I would hold off on getting any more fish and just focus on cycling your tank.

If it is cycled, I would still give it a few weeks before you introduce any more fish as you may put too much pressure on the newly cycled filter. What kind of substrate do you have? If sand, eventually a group of dwarf corydoras would look lovely.

I had it tested at my pet store a week ago, I am getting another test today. Yes the tank has done a cycle.
I have gravel in my tank. There are some pointed bits though. I had 2 albino Corys and they died but my water
wasnt the best. Since then i have been testing weekly.

Corys wouldn't be suitable for your tank then I'm afraid. If you can, get the shop to write down your water readings so that you have them handy. It'd also be worth your while to save up and buy an API master test kit; these are the best things going and are really useful when you have a non mature tank. They're about £30 in shops, but you can find them for much cheaper on sites like ebay
good.gif

Do you know what your pH is? As that will influence what you can keep
smile.png

I'm fairly new to this too, and wondered whether or not to bother with the home test kit, knowing that local stores could test for me. However, I bought the API Master Kit for £20 on Ebay (maybe Amazon, can't remember), and tested every two days throughout my fishless cycle using ammonia solution. It's the best purchased I made, and even now with almost a tankful of healthy fish I still test the water every two days. Having the kit and knowing what to expect from the results has really helped me on the learning curve to becoming a responsible aquarist. The Master Kit will last for ages, especially if you do as I do and only use half the amount of water and half the amount of solution per test! I highly recommend it to any aspiring fish-keeper. Sounds like your corys died from ammonia poisoning in an uncycled tank; 6 peppered corys went into my tank as soon as it had completed its cycle, and they're all doing great!

Get the kit, read up on the nitrogen cycle, ensure your filter is fully cycled and stable, learn which fish are compatible, and good luck!

I agree with DrSlackBladder - I was told in the local fish shop not to bother buying the kits as they can test the water for me but I read in a number of topics on this site that they are not always accurate. Based on the advice from this site I got the API kit as well for about £21 from Amazon (just like above) and I'm really pleased that I did. During the last visit to the store they told me that all levels were fine. Only to find out that they weren't when the test finally arrived a day after. Still had ammonia around 0.25 so I carried on 25% water changes and testing every day then every two days until levels were ok.
So if you want to look after your fish properly it's worth spending that £20-21!

Corys wouldn't be suitable for your tank then I'm afraid. If you can, get the shop to write down your water readings so that you have them handy. It'd also be worth your while to save up and buy an API master test kit; these are the best things going and are really useful when you have a non mature tank. They're about £30 in shops, but you can find them for much cheaper on sites like ebay
good.gif

Do you know what your pH is? As that will influence what you can keep
smile.png
how come cory are unsuitable for OPs tank?

OP said he had sharp gravel which would damage corys, I guess? Mine are ok but on smooth gravel; considering a swap to sand though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back