Ideas Please

saltynay

Patron
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
2,514
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Singapore
Need some more idea for feeding my endlers, amano shrimp and snails (pond and assassins) that is "human food" so far tried;

Cucumber - fish nibbled it for 5 minutes then left it seemed relatively untouched in the morn
Romaine lettuce - snails ate it a bit fish and shrimp ignored
King prawn - fish loved it got ignored by everything else
Celeraic - snails and fish nibbled but didn't eat a substantial amount
Cooked pea - Got ignored by all
Cut up Earthworm - shrimp loved it
Small Millipede - Put it in about 9 this morning and its still crawling around the bottom in the dark plant pots that make up the shrimps home :blink: would of thought that would of been a suicide mission


Anachris - seems to be getting nibbled by the fish quite a lot fortunately it grows so fast doesn't matter
One shrimp seems to like attacking pond snails haven't really got any ideas why :unsure:

I feed them these treats every 2-3 days and don't give them standard food when treat is given
 
Up the jam pump it up..........

Do you eat earthworm's :sick:

What about crushed up deshelled pea's.....

Also if you can cultivate them micro worms, my fry and whiteskirt tetra's go crazy for this stuff even the krib :good:
 
Actually earthworms are really healthy to eat and I have eaten them before they are especially good if you deep fry them and crush it in with some fried rice you need to prepare them properly though as its a risk of sanitation. I have never eaten a millipede but would try it if offered.

I tried the deshelled pea it wasn't crushed though and didn't get any takers. The millipede is now dead turned out its armour was too thick for the shrimp so I intervened and cut it into little bits which then got fought over by the shrimp. I hear that the live foods like microworms stink out the house plus thats added expense Id rather use things that are more easily setup I will buy from the LFS if I want any of the more traditional treat foods. What types of fruit have people tried? Perhaps breadcrumbs?
 
I keep microworms. The added expense is about 1/2 serving of oatmeal every few weeks as a growing medium. I keep them in closed containers so no smell in the house. The containers start to smell bad when you open them after a couple of weeks because it is decaying oatmeal by then. The culture needs to be replaced with fresh every month or so. It just doesn't seem expensive or hard to do for me.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top