Ideal Alkalinity for Panda Corys??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Paprikakitty

Reaction score
Ok, first off is it ā€˜corysā€™ ā€˜coriesā€™ or ā€˜corriesā€™ when discussing multiple corydoras??? My websearches have been conflicting and Iā€™m curious if thereā€™s a generally accepted ā€˜correctā€™ way?

Secondly- what is the ideal tank alkalinity for these little guys? I havenā€™t found a concrete answer for that either.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Coryies :)

no, just messing with you, it's Cories, short for a number of Corydoras. If you see the Cory's (Corydoras') tank then it should have a number of Cories in it. But if there is only one Cory in the tank then it should get some companions asap. This could be a tongue twister. She sells sea shells by the sea shore. I don't know whether the weather will change or whether it will remain the same. Too much, too many, too few, but then two plus two is too many to count to. :)

-----------------------
The ideal pH for most Cories is between 6.8 & 7.6. Most wild caught fish will prefer a slightly lower pH (6.6-7.0) and the captive bred stuff will be fine with in a pH up to 8.0.

All the common Corydoras sold in pet shops are captive bred. :)

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

By "alkalinity" do you mean the pH, or the KH (carbonate hardness)? Many years ago thee hobby referred to "alkaline" water as that with a pH above 7, but this is no longer correct. "Alkalinity" is another term for the carbonate hardness (KH), which while related to pH is something else. KH is usually close to GH which is thee general hardness, and these affect the pH. Of these three, the GH is most crucial for fish, followed by pH.

When looking at "suitable" parameters, the best guide is the natural habitat water. There may be an exception somewhere, but in general terms all cory species occur in very soft water with an acidic pH. So this is a good thing to aim for, especially if one has such water naturally. Having said that, there is some adaptation, with some species, but this is limited and usually something of a risk. Species commercially raised may or may not actually fare as well in water outside their evolved needs.

I
Welcome to TFF. :hi:

By "alkalinity" do you mean the pH, or the KH (carbonate hardness)? Many years ago thee hobby referred to "alkaline" water as that with a pH above 7, but this is no longer correct. "Alkalinity" is another term for the carbonate hardness (KH), which while related to pH is something else. KH is usually close to GH which is thee general hardness, and these affect the pH. Of these three, the GH is most crucial...

I am referring to KH. My pH is currently 6.8 and water hardness (GH) is soft- 75 ppm with and alkalinity (Kh) of around 40 ppm.

I

I am referring to KH. My pH is currently 6.8 and water hardness (GH) is soft- 75 ppm with and alkalinity (Kh) of around 40 ppm.

You have no issues whatsoever with this water for any cory species.

You have no issues whatsoever with this water for any cory species.

Thank you Byron. Happy to hear that! I figured it was better to check than not know. This forum is a WONDERFUL resource!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back