Ich-X vs beneficial bacteria

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Irishrover

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 125 gallon freshwater tank and have noticed a couple of my fish have come down with ich. I am running a FX6 canister filter on this tank and also have some plants in the tank. I am planning on using ich-x to treat but will that hurt my beneficial bacteria? I know I have to remove any charcoal, but what about the rest of my media? thank you for any advice you can give me.

If you plan on using Ich-X, I don't believe it will affect BB at all as it is not an anti-bacterial. Yes...remove charcoal, but leave the rest of the media in the running filter.

I think it may affect your BB but very minimal only due to the Formaldehyde.

But shouldn't be a concern if your tank BB have stabilized(after ~2months)

Remember to wear glove and don't breathe in the fume as it's toxic.
Maintain high aeration as the medication will reduce the oxygen level in the water.
You also have to turn off light as Malachite green is sensitive to light.
Light will deactivate the malachite green.

I would avoid using a formaldehyde toxin in my home. It off gases Volatile organic compounds and has awful health effects.

Instead I would use the forum's recommended approach of heat treatment. @Colin_T has lots of great posts about this.

Yes, you can turn on the heat to 30degC /86F for about 1-2 weeks.

After all the white spots are gone, continue to treat for about 1 week to kill the remaining eggs.

Raising the tank temperature to 86 deg F or 30 deg C for 2 weeks (or one week after the last spots have gone if that takes longer) is the best way to treat ich. All ich medications are hard on the fish, and they tolerate heat better than meds.

As mentioned, just raise and maintain the tank temperature to 86°F for two weeks. When I did this, I used a spare heater and got the temperature stabilized in a 5g bucket of water. Then all I had to do was add it to the infected tank, then remove it after the cure (saves messing with the regular tank heater.)

Most reactions

trending

Back