I want some color without overcrowding.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Your picture looks like a female BN pleco with the shape of the head and the spots. If you got a 20 gallon minimum you could keep one of the BN plecoā€™s but youā€™d be at the minimum. Have to agree with everyone else and say rehome or see if a ma and pa shop near you would take them. Itā€™s not their physical size but the size of their output that puts strain on the water quality.

If your LFS wonā€™t take them and you have to try and rehome - Pick up some algae wafers for them if you donā€™t already have some. Iā€™d also do frequent water changes and make sure you have some driftwood in there, the fiber aids in their digestion.

The 10 gallon tank is only for 2-3 months. We are going to have some work done on our home and after it is finished I am going to get a bigger tank and stand. I originally had to put them in a 3.5 gallon tank but it was only for a few days until I got the 10 gallon set up. I have some algae wafers for the pleco. I was feeding the fish yesterday and noticed that the bigger Black skirt tetra was chasing and nipping the other one. I thought they got along with their own kind?

I was feeding the fish yesterday and noticed that the bigger Black skirt tetra was chasing and nipping the other one. I thought they got along with their own kind?
All tetras naturally occur in huge groups consisting of hundreds or even thousands of individuals. If you only have a couple in an aquarium they stress out and this can lead to fighting and fin nipping between the individuals.

Tetras should be kept in groups of at least 6 and preferably 10 or more of their own kind. Even this number is small and can cause stress to some species.

I was feeding the fish yesterday and noticed that the bigger Black skirt tetra was chasing and nipping the other one. I thought they got along with their own kind?

They do, sort of, but it needs to be a much larger group than two, as Colin stated.

The other issue is this species, which is notorious for fin nipping (some tetras are, many are not, normally). You do not have space for a group of 7+ Black Skirts in a 10g, so I would re--home these two. Left as is, the weaker will be dead before long, then the "bully" will turn his attention to the other fish. Stress is the reason, as Colin mentioned.

The Black Phantom also need a larger group; this species is best with 7-9, a mix of male/female will provide some nice interactive interest. But in a larger tank. This is not a nippy species, very peaceful, but still needs more of them or stress will take its toll.

Edit: corrected species name in last para.

Last edited:
The Black Skirts also need a larger group; this species is best with 7-9, a mix of male/female will provide some nice interactive interest. But in a larger tank. This is not a nippy species, very peaceful, but still needs more of them or stress will take its toll.

Do you mean the phantom tetras? (The tank has 2 black shirt tetras and 2 phantom tetras)

Do you mean the phantom tetras? (The tank has 2 black shirt tetras and 2 phantom tetras)

Yes, thanks for mentioning. I will revise the post. Really must re-read after I post. :huh:

Ok. The hubby and I are going tomorrow to pick up a 65 gallon tank and stand. It had previously been a saltwater tank and has deposits on it so after I get it clean, set up, and cycled I am moving the pleco over to it for sure. I am debating whether to move all the fish or just part. I would love to have something with some color in there. Any ideas?

Ok. The hubby and I are going tomorrow to pick up a 65 gallon tank and stand. It had previously been a saltwater tank and has deposits on it so after I get it clean, set up, and cycled I am moving the pleco over to it for sure. I am debating whether to move all the fish or just part. I would love to have something with some color in there. Any ideas?

Colin asked for the GH and pH of your source water and that hasn't yet been posted; knowing that will allow us to narrow down possible fish.

I don't have the strips to test for that yet. I ordered some since my Walmart was out. We picked up the larger aquarium and it was nasty. I used the shop vac and garden hose on it. It has these worm looking things that feel hard like rocks on and in the pump. What is the best way to clean everything? It was used for saltwater fish and I am going to use it for freshwater fish.

Attachments

• fishtank3.jpg
    fishtank3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 190
  • fishtank2.jpg
    fishtank2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 154
  • fishtank1.jpg
    fishtank1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 162
The worm things are from tube worms. They are calcium and nothing to worry about.

Just wash the tank out with freshwater and set it up.
If you don't want the calcium bits, wash the tank with vinegar and leave it for an hour then rinse it out.

Colin asked for the GH and pH of your source water and that hasn't yet been posted; knowing that will allow us to narrow down possible fish.
I just got the test strips and tested my water. The ph is 8-8.5 and the gh is 180.

Quick question - I know some brands of test strips cannot measure GH above 180 ppm. What is the highest level your strips can measure? If yours only measure up to 180, the actual GH could be higher than that.

Quick question - I know some brands of test strips cannot measure GH above 180 ppm. What is the highest level your strips can measure? If yours only measure up to 180, the actual GH could be higher than that.
They only measure up to 180.

In that case, your GH could be higher than 180 ppm.

Can I suggest taking some tap water to an LFS and asking them to test for GH and KH. Though if they use strips that also go up to only 180 ppm, that won't be any better.
Or phone your water provider and ask them. Make sure they give you a number and the unit.

I don't have the GH yet. I got the 65 gallon tank cleaned and mostly set up. I have a driftwood piece soaking to get rid of the brown colored water and I have some water wisteria coming to tie to it then add it to the tank. I hooked up the filter that came with the tank and it leaked horribly. I googled the filter and even replaced all the o rings and nothing stopped the leaking so I ordered a new filter. It is now set up and running. There has been water in the tank for a week and a half, but the filter has only been running for 4 days. I also ordered a freshwater master test kit.

Most reactions

trending

Back