I want an understocked 55gal. Suggestions?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Another idea I had was a paludarium with triops in the pool area although I'm liking the killifish idea (suggested above) as well. I've had triops before and even my husband agreed they were really cool.

Thank you for the suggestion and for the edit. I did not see those videos yet as I went first to a Tropical Fish Magazine article on them, so it's good to be aware of them so I can avoid them.

According to the TFM article I would need a larger tank as they get up to 14". I will say though that with the pic below being the first thing I saw, I do love them already. If my tank were larger I would definitely consider one. I mean come on, who doesn't love this mug?

View attachment 313210
They are a very cool fish - very surprised to see them listed as that big? I thought it was more 20cm / 8 inches which is whats on Seriously Fish, but Seriously Fish still suggest a big 5 foot tank. Which again I'm surprised about as they are not that active other than feeding time and can't be kept with anything else.

In a similar vein if you like 'loveable' faces would be a wet pet puffer fish like a Red Potatoe or a Palambang?

Wills

A group of Wild Bettas from the Unimaculata Complex. Gorgeous, interesting, fairly easy to care for, not really demanding on water parameters. ;)

They are a very cool fish - very surprised to see them listed as that big? I thought it was more 20cm / 8 inches which is whats on Seriously Fish, but Seriously Fish still suggest a big 5 foot tank. Which again I'm surprised about as they are not that active other than feeding time and can't be kept with anything else.

In a similar vein if you like 'loveable' faces would be a wet pet puffer fish like a Red Potatoe or a Palambang?

Wills

I'm in serious cute-overload right now. I went to https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com and found these images as well as a bunch of info on pufferfish care. I will DEFINITELY be adding these guys to the research-further list!!

They burrow. BURROW!! And they leave their little eyes and mouth exposed to suck up prey. I mean come on. You have to think that's adorable! Look at that little face!!

1678586953885.png
1678586820290.png
1678586839534.png

I'm in serious cute-overload right now. I went to https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com and found these images as well as a bunch of info on pufferfish care. I will DEFINITELY be adding these guys to the research-further list!!

They burrow. BURROW!! And they leave their little eyes and mouth exposed to suck up prey. I mean come on. You have to think that's adorable! Look at that little face!!

View attachment 313285View attachment 313283View attachment 313284
Have you seen the Pygmy puffers? So cute!

A group of Wild Bettas from the Unimaculata Complex. Gorgeous, interesting, fairly easy to care for, not really demanding on water parameters. ;)
Oooh. I just looked these up and that's another really good option. Especially as my water tends to be fairly acidic naturally and they like the type of environment I'm already used to maintaining, so heavily planted that the lighting is a bit dim, lots of hiding places, driftwood, caves, etc. They don't want other species except for possibly peaceful loaches which is actually great because loaches have been on my want list for awhile but I've never had them.

All of these ideas from everyone so far have been great! I'm now going to have to resist getting back into MTS mode! :lol:

Have you seen the Pygmy puffers? So cute!
Oh yes, those are definitely on my list! I've been reading about them recently in fact. I've always heard that they are extremely aggressive to each other but I recently read that this is only when kept in too small groups. They need to be in groups larger than 6, and at least 2 females to every male to avoid trouble. In the wild, they are a shoaling species and live in large groups. I want to do more research on this issue to figure out these conflicting reports, as I would certainly want to keep them in as natural a way as possible. If they need to be alone, fine. In a group, also fine. I just need to know before bringing anything home. Everything is pretty unanimous in suggesting a species only tank, which is what I'm considering anyway of course.

This picture of the Pao Palembangenisis pufferfish in his little boat... 🥰

1678591182278.png

Image from:

Oh yes, those are definitely on my list! I've been reading about them recently in fact. I've always heard that they are extremely aggressive to each other but I recently read that this is only when kept in too small groups. They need to be in groups larger than 6, and at least 2 females to every male to avoid trouble. In the wild, they are a shoaling species and live in large groups. I want to do more research on this issue to figure out these conflicting reports, as I would certainly want to keep them in as natural a way as possible. If they need to be alone, fine. In a group, also fine. I just need to know before bringing anything home. Everything is pretty unanimous in suggesting a species only tank, which is what I'm considering anyway of course.
I have precisely what you were asking about- a heavily planted tank with pea puffers. I have 8 in a 20 gallon. They get along famously. They allhide most of the day, looking for snails- with the exception of the sentry who stays front and center almost all the time. Probably the least dominant and got the worst territory. He’s the smallest. I call him Ferdinand as he reminds me of the lonely little bull.
They all come together in the morning for feeding time- a great joy for me. Scuds, bloodworms, snails are the mains foods they love. I alternate and they deal with not being fed each day. They eat live foods, but seems they’d rather just hunt than be fed. Live blackworms for a treat.
I have had them for almost a year with no deaths and still no spawns unfortunately. The large adult males seem to tolerate each other at feeding time and the rest of the day they retreat to the forest I have made them
With valisneria, driftwood and a lot of hornwort. They have plenty of space in a 20 long. I have about 5 cherry shrimp in their keeping house and eating algae. I have 3 otos doing their thing. It’s the most harmonious interesting tank I’ve ever had. It’s a bit of work keeping up with the live food and cleaning up shells after a feast, but I am definitely in love with these precious albeit ferocious little creatures. It’s so amazing how they tolerate the shrimp but eat scuds like it’s nobody’s business. I highly recommend this species to anyone interested in the pea puffers. I was intimidated by what I had read, too, but I took the plunge and am so glad I did. Love these guys.

I have precisely what you were asking about- a heavily planted tank with pea puffers. I have 8 in a 20 gallon. They get along famously. They allhide most of the day, looking for snails- with the exception of the sentry who stays front and center almost all the time. Probably the least dominant and got the worst territory. He’s the smallest. I call him Ferdinand as he reminds me of the lonely little bull.
They all come together in the morning for feeding time- a great joy for me. Scuds, bloodworms, snails are the mains foods they love. I alternate and they deal with not being fed each day. They eat live foods, but seems they’d rather just hunt than be fed. Live blackworms for a treat.
I have had them for almost a year with no deaths and still no spawns unfortunately. The large adult males seem to tolerate each other at feeding time and the rest of the day they retreat to the forest I have made them
With valisneria, driftwood and a lot of hornwort. They have plenty of space in a 20 long. I have about 5 cherry shrimp in their keeping house and eating algae. I have 3 otos doing their thing. It’s the most harmonious interesting tank I’ve ever had. It’s a bit of work keeping up with the live food and cleaning up shells after a feast, but I am definitely in love with these precious albeit ferocious little creatures. It’s so amazing how they tolerate the shrimp but eat scuds like it’s nobody’s business. I highly recommend this species to anyone interested in the pea puffers. I was intimidated by what I had read, too, but I took the plunge and am so glad I did. Love these guys.
Do you have a photo to share?

Thank you for sharing! That's really interesting. Do they stay together more or just kind of go their separate ways?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back