(i Think), Tank Just Finished Cycling, But I'm Going Away Next Wee

DJC1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
At last, I think my tank has finally cycled (helped, I'm sure, by the use of Bactinettes). :)

Using API test kit.

Ammonia is clearing to 0ppm after 12 hours or less.

NitrIte dropped the other day, but it is not clearing to 0. I can't tell if it is slightly less than 0.25ppm, or if it is more in between 0.25 and 0.5?

NitrAtes are sky high.

I'm going away for a week next friday, but can only get somone in once a day to top up the ammonia.
Whereas I have been adding enough to bring it up to 3 or 4ppm every 12 hours, what dosage of ammonia should I get this person to top the tank up with while I'm away considering they can only get in once a day?

Was looking forward to getting fish this week, but I guess it is not advised to until someone is there a little more to keep an eye on things when they are first introduced to the tank?

Is 0.25 of NitrIte acceptable?

If you mean acceptable to add fish then no.
Really, ammonia and nitrite (after the spike) has to be zero for about a week before the cycle is complete.

I would ask the person to add the daily amount of ammonia to bring it up to 4ppm as you have been doing. If it is clearing that in twelve hours then another 12 hours will not harm.

You could also put in some flake food now so that will start rotting and produce a steady amount of ammonia to help.

Either way, at the very least your hard earned bacteria will be fed while you are away then on your return do a ammonia/nitrite check and you should be fine. (nitrate will be ballistic but that's to be expected)

One last thing, make a strong point about the quantity of ammonia going in to the person in charge while you are away!

I'm not going away for a week, so I wasn't planning on adding fish for at least two and a half weeks.

The NitrItes were off the chart until two days ago, and then the massive drop occured, but it's not dropping below 0.25 - will it drop eventually as I thought that when the big drop occured, it should drop straight to 0?

Every set up is a little different but yes it will drop to zero eventually.

It can get a little frustrating with the nitrite as it take loads longer to drop to a complete zero than the ammonia. :crazy:

It can stall at 2ppm for weeks in some cases (mine did!) so count yourself fortunate at this stage :lol:

It will all be worth it in the end :nod:

Most reactions

Back