What is going on with this/these cycles?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've cycled three tanks using the fishless cycling method on here with ZERO problems... textbook cases. This fourth tank? The cycle has tanked three times now. One was because I was hospitalized a LOT longer than expected... and it ran out of ammonia even when I put extra ammonia in before I left. But the first and third times... There will be about 2 ppm ammonia (Down from 3-4... I didn't get a perfect starting measurement..) and .25 nitrite. According to the guide... way too much ammonia and not enough nitrite to do another dose... so I waited three days... The first time the ammonia was about 1 ppm and nitrites just barely above 0... I quickly dosed with ammonia but the next day nitrites were zero. The second time the ammonia was still about 2 ppm and the nitrites were zip. Why am I going from having nitrites to having none? I'm so frustrated! What on earth am I doing wrong? The water had cleared up the first time nitrites were noticed, but when I got back from the hospital (the second time the cycle failed) it became very cloudy again. I'm just completely at a loss... please help?

Do a 90% water change with dechlorinated water and try again.

If you have an established tank, just take some of the filter media from that and put it in the new filter. Instant cycle and no need to stuff about for 6 weeks adding ammonia and testing daily.

Do a 90% water change with dechlorinated water and try again.

If you have an established tank, just take some of the filter media from that and put it in the new filter. Instant cycle and no need to stuff about for 6 weeks adding ammonia and testing daily.
The first time I had half the gravel from an established tank as well as the bioballs from that same tank. It was still extremely slow. Not instant. I can't do a massive change right now. I just had surgery. But I'll try it later...

I'll check it tomorrow but it's done with RO water which is used in my other two tanks and is around 6.5 in them

From the fishless cycling method on here
To get a tank cycled in a reasonable amount of time, you need to make sure that, in addition to ammonia, the bacteria will also have:
  • Inorganic carbon (as carbonates) by keeping your KH up. Do not let it drop below 3 dg (55 ppm).
  • A good pH level by insuring it is above 6.5. The closer to 8.0 the faster the cycle will go. We do not recommend one alter their pH if it holds fairly steady anywhere between 6.8 - 8.5.

This is why you have been asked about pH and KH.

Bacteria need KH. RO has zero KH, so unless you’re mixing it with tapwater the bacteria can’t function. A little KH will also prevent the pH from crashing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back