I think my fish might be ill??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Reiss

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've had a black moore for a couple months now, I've changed waters numerous times with Lovefish tap safe dechlorinator,
I changed my water, filter and got some new plantstoday and a new air stone also.
My black moore is usually very lively, always swimming around nibbling but I just looked at him for a second, He had stopped still, He is swimming now but when he stopped I noticed white spots on his gills. Is he poorly?
Please help me as I have never had him get ill before. I will upload a picture that i took.
Thank you

Attachments

• F2AEB536-8037-4B88-ABE4-EA22B4E7C257.jpeg
    F2AEB536-8037-4B88-ABE4-EA22B4E7C257.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 117
It appears your black moor is a little boy who is just starting to come into breeding condition. Male goldfish develop small white spots on their gill covers and pectoral fins when the weather warms up in spring. Females don't have the spots. :)

Colin is correct. Those are tubercles or breeding stars. The males get them when ready to breed with a female. They may not go away after breeding season. All is fine with your little guy. His eye does appear to have cloudy eye though. Has he scratched it or injured it recently?

Last edited:
It appears your black moor is a little boy who is just starting to come into breeding condition
Great. Now I know he is okay, thank you :)

His eye does appear to have cloudy eye though. Has he scratched it or injured it recently?
I'm not too sure, I noticed it too. I'm not too sure what has caused that, do you think it would go away? I will keep an eye on him and also check his other eye

You can try keeping him in real clean water. You need to do weekly water changes of at least 70%. What size is your tank and how many fish/type? If the clean water doesn’t clear it up then you may need to get a med that treats bacterial infections.

One more thing... you said you got a new filter. Did you keep the old media in the new filter so as not to lose your cycle. If you tossed it then you tossed your beneficial bacteria too and your cycle.

YES, if you rise out your filter cartridges with tap water, you will loose your cycle. Rinse them out with tank water, instead! :)

One more thing... you said you got a new filter. Did you keep the old media in the new filter so as not to lose your cycle. If you tossed it then you tossed your beneficial bacteria too and your cycle.
I have a BiOrb 30L with this black moore and a smaller pearlscale goldfish, the biorb comes with a built in filter section,
When I say I got a new filter, it's the thing with the foam and little pebble like things that lies in the center. It comes with water conditioner and Biological booster which i added. the pack says "promotes growth of highly active bacterial cultures for starting and maintaining biological filtration
I removed the filter previous as unlike the new one it was grey and full of muck. There was also an small abundance of poop underneath which I filtered out when I changed it

My pearlscale seems to be doing fine.
Though I really am wonderig about my moore's eyes.
the water is crystal clear, I done a half water change yesterday and scrubbed all around the glass. ( this is why I got the airstone as I noticed it wasn't filtering as well as it was at the start of the week)

He is a very lively fish and he is always swimming around, it is quite hard to take a picture of him still & my tank is a little scratched on the outside, there are some pictures attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 94
The best thing to do if a fish has cloudy eyes, is to do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 1-2 weeks. This will dilute any nutrients and disease organisms in the water and allow the fish to recover.

The best thing to do if a fish has cloudy eyes, is to do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 1-2 weeks. This will dilute any nutrients and disease organisms in the water and allow the fish to recover.
My tank isn't gravel, I have what's like ceramic rocks with loads of pores for bacteria, here is what it is https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GCU0Z6/?tag=
so change about 30% water every day?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You need to gravel clean the substrate regardless of what it is. Dirty and debris get between the pieces of substrate and encourage bacteria and other nasty microscopic organisms to grow.

-----------------------
You should change at least 50% of the tank water when you do a water change. I normally recommend doing a 75% water change.

You do water changes for 2 main reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.

Bigger water changes are generally better. Just make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back