I think I’ve messed up my first Cycle.. advice please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Actually, at this stage it is 3 ppm.
If at any time after the first ammonia addition (Dose #1) you test and ammonia is under .75 ppm and nitrite is clearly over 2 ppm, it is time to add more ammonia (Dose #2). Add the same full amount as you did the first time.

The next stage is a bit complicated to explain.
Test every second day. You need to wait until you have zero ammonia and then zero ammonia again two days later. You need two tests two days apart with zero ammonia. Only when you've had the second zero is more ammonia added, and this time it is not the full amount but one third of the amount added at the start.

The idea behind waiting for certain targets and then adding less ammonia is so that nitrite can't get high enough to stall the cycle.

Correct, you will dose HALF the amount of the original dose.
So going by the cycling thread on here, would that count as the “snack dose”? As on the instructions on here it says to add another full dose for dose #2 ☺️ I assume it’s different though as I’ve already got some of the good bacteria in my tank now.
Then I’ll wait until my ammonia is under 0.25 and Nitrite is under 1, add another full dose then test in 24 hours to see if the cycle is complete.
Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

No, don't add the smaller dose now, add the full dose. You are at dose #2, which is 3 ppm.

We posted at the same time - see my reply in post #16.

Actually, at this stage it is 3 ppm.

The next stage is a bit complicated to explain.
Test every second day. You need to wait until you have zero ammonia and then zero ammonia again two days later. You need two tests two days apart with zero ammonia. Only when you've had the second zero is more ammonia added, and this time it is not the full amount but one third of the amount added at the start.

The idea behind waiting for certain targets and then adding less ammonia is so that nitrite can't get high enough to stall the cycle.
Ah okay, I’ll do that now. I thought so but thought it may be different as I’ve already done a bit of it and have had to start again ? I think everyone seems to do things slightly differently. After doing it for a few weeks I think I’ve got my head around it properly now. I’ll follow the thread on here exactly!

I’ll add the 3 dose now, then wait for two consecutive every other day readings of 0, then snack dose, then under .25 ammonia and nitrite under 1 I’ll add full dose, check in 24 hours and hopefully I’ll be done

My bad, I'm going by an older, apparently outdated cycling method...stick with what Essjay has advised

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back