I Think I'm Finally Fully Stocked

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So I picked up a BN today and with him I think that my tank is fully stocked. My 30 gallon is now at:

4 Molly
2 Platy
1 keyhole
1 Opaline Gourami
5 Bloodfin tetra
8 Coolie Loach
1 Upsideown Catfish
3 Oto
2 BN Pleco (sadly I think both are female)

going by in per gallon rule I am at 56in (not including Coolie of course) which is somewhat over stocked but the tank is mature and has good filtration. With this stock I am fully happy but am wondering if this the the end until I set up my next tank. Opinions?
 
Dont have many pics since I need to calibrate my camera to take proper pics of my tank. below are some pics to get an idea though. Everyone seems happy and their isnt any aggression between anyone anymore (besides the Pleco chasing people away from food anyways). The tank has lots of personality as well, the tetras tend to play a game of capture the fkag with pellets though, one grabs and the other try to steak it from him/her. Everyone is pretty entertaining.

P1060529.jpg


P1060532.jpg


P1060538.jpg


P1060541.jpg
 
I think you may find overtime as your stock grows that although you have enough filtration you may well have problems trying to keep Nitrates down.
For fish such as plecs and large bodied catfish I tend to allow more than their 'inch' value. As the Inch per Gallon guide is referring to bioload.
Plecos in particular create more waste compared to their length than 'normal' fish EG. Your tetras.

What sort of water change schedule will you be following?

And this is just my opinion...but I personally don't believe a 30gal is big enough for an opaline gourami to be properly comfortable. I would never have one in anything below 200l (53gal)
I also wouldn't have a keyhole cichlid in anything less than 150l (40 gal)
 
well about a week back I asked about the my stocking and after a few responses Opaline/Blue Gourami came up from a few members. I asked to comfirm that it would be suitable and saw no one say otherwise. I of course hope to upgrade tanks by end of year but the likely hood is slim. I am currently doing 20-30% water changes once a week. Temp is set to around 80-82 (heater is set to around 75-80 but my room keeps around 80 no matter what). I dont plan to purchase anymore fish and may even plan to rehome some of the smaller fish to lessen the load of the larger. I have an extra 10 gallon whch I planned to rehome 2 Platy and 1-2 Molly (maybe add some cory). Again though, that's a maybe.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top