I think I may have MTS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

We have one member here claiming he has 80 tanks.. Now , to me, it would not be enjoyable maintaining all those tanks. We have another member who had 20 tanks at one time.

For some it's a hobby, for some it's a business, and for some it's somewhere in between.

Just one more

Two of my 4 tanks are failry close together in the recreation man cave room. The other two are in separate rooms on the main floor. The python will reach all the tanks. I do water changes for the two tanks in the basement one day and then wait a few days and then do the two tanks on the main floor. Makes it not seem like such a chore by dividing up the water change schedule. I generally do 50% water change about every 9 days.

We have one member here claiming he has 80 tanks.. Now , to me, it would not be enjoyable maintaining all those tanks. We have another member who had 20 tanks at one time.

I'll stick to my four tanks.. that is until the urge for another tank arises. I mean just one more tank won't be much more work would it? And I have this empty end table that looks so bare....

Just one more...just one more....just one more!

My need for another tank always comes from wanting to try a new fish, like the angel fish I have been contemplating. I have been lucky that most of my projects have been successful and all of my fish are healthy. If I had the problems that some members have, I would probably not be so ready to try another tank or breed of fish. It’s all a learning process. I like breeding my goldfish but not interested in breeding anything else. I keep all males for that reason in all of their breeds. Fish keeping can be costly too. I think that’s why a lot of us are older and many already retired. Our kids are grown and we finally have the time and resources to spend on what we enjoy doing. My fish bring me contentment and joy. They’re my children now that my kids are grown. They fill that nurturing need that I learned as a mother. My fish are my therapy and a part of who I am.

MTS LOL ROFL

This is kinda like owing a secondhhand BMW, you love it so much you end up spending several times the market value in just a few years...

For some it's a hobby, for some it's a business, and for some it's somewhere in between.

When you get to 40 fish tanks or more you know you have MTS lol

As I have mentioned I have 80 fish tanks, and is it enjoyable of course it is it takes a lot of dedication and hard work, I do not keep the fish for a business it is purely as a hobby, and my main interest is breeding wild live-bearing fish I have kept and bred the easiest to the most difficult of livebearer’s

When you get to 40 fish tanks or more you know you have MTS lol

As I have mentioned I have 80 fish tanks, and is it enjoyable of course it is it takes a lot of dedication and hard work, I do not keep the fish for a business it is purely as a hobby, and my main interest is breeding wild live-bearing fish I have kept and bred the easiest to the most difficult of livebearer’s

Do you have it all joined by pipes for easy water changes?

I’ve seen automatic water changers. Do you know anything about those?

So brought the Bettas home today, absolutely stunning fish, I will put up pictures later. Everything seemed to be going well then noticed about an hour after putting them into the tanks that the one in the middle seemed to be rubbing himself along the bottom. About an hour after noticing him I noticed the one in the right hand tank was starting to do the same and now I've just caught the one in the left hand tank looking like he's starting to do the same. Tested the tank and there's an ammonia reading which is higher in the right hand tank and just barely registering in the left hand tank. I'm gutted as I've been testing the water over the weekend and showed as cycled. Nitrates were under 10ppm in all tanks with no nitrites and no ammonia and now I have ammonia and nitrates readings. Current plan of action is big water change. I've taken some more filter media out of my other tank to top up what the shop gave me when I bought the tank. If I'm still not happy by the time I go to bed I'm thinking about filling some big jugs with water from the 5g because that is testing fine and the Betta in there is mooching quite happily around the tank. I'm also planning to put some more plants in when I do the water change to help things along.

It’s not unusual to get some ammonia and in turn, nitrates when adding fish to a newly cycled tank. Do the water changes and keep an eye on it. The beneficial bacteria should grow quickly to keep up with it. You can use some Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator to help the fish feel better in the meantime. It detoxifies the harmful affects of the ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours.

I'll put some Seachem on order, I've got Tetra aqua safe at the moment. I do have a tendency to worry anyway, I think having my first Betta die on me quickly has made me a bit paranoid about fish. My second Betta had to put up with me eyeballing him constantly for about 2 weeks before I'd relax.

This is one of the Bettas, the other two are proving a bit harder to take a decent photo of.
20190917_194954.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back