I think I hate snails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Nerites are cool, I only ever had two of them in my tank in the past, think one was a zebra and the other was horned nerite, cute.

Found that they can be hard to feed as they predominately only eat algae off tank glass, mine did not touch the algae wafers I provided, think were wild caught perhaps as they soon died after, likely due to starvation as does not take very long for two merited to scrape clean the tank glass of algae despite my efforts to try and cultivate more algae for them :X

So hopefully now there are more tank bred nerites that are being sold which will feed off algae wafers or suchlike.

If nerites that are sold from stores now do eat algae wafers then it’s likely I will get more nerites one day ;)

But for now, will wait to hear from other keepers if their nerites do eat algae wafers or similar ^_^
Nerites do enjoy a slice of cucumber, though.

I cut off the skin, and blanch it for a minute or two in boiling water, then cool it and pop it into the tank. They really enjoy it, and my glowlight tetras seem to enjoy a nibble, too, which surprised me, because they don't otherwise pick food from the bottom of the tank (and also because they sort of look carnivorous . . .

I cut off the skin, and blanch it for a minute or two in boiling water, then cool it and pop it into the tank. They really enjoy it, and my glowlight tetras seem to enjoy a nibble, too, which surprised me, because they don't otherwise pick food from the bottom of the tank (and also because they sort of look carnivorous . . .

Oh yeah, I tried that too now that I remember.

Obviously did not work for my two nerites as don’t think they realised that algae wafers and cucumber were actually food hence why I still think they were wild caught.

This is a few years ago I have to say, at that time nerites were relatively new to the fishkeeping scene so perhaps nerites now are being captive bred and fed on much more easily accessible foods such as algae wafer, at least that’s what am hoping for.

Great tip though!

Especially for those whom may not have been aware they can feed other things as well, not just fish foods and algae wafers, certain fruits and other vegs can be given as food to give some variety to fish as well as snails and inverts :good:

I didn't use too boil mine when I had apple snails, I just used to put it in tank and they are it...

I'm guessing that needs to be done then for Nerites?

Last edited:
My nerites have never touched algae wafers, though I haven't tried them with cucumber. Since I don't actively feed the nerites, they must find something to eat in my tanks.
I bought 2 nerites from an Ebay seller in July 2011. The zebra nerite died a few weeks ago, the red onion or racing track or tiger nerite is still alive. I bought a black and yellow striped nerite (without horns for some reason) in December 2013 and a small grey spotty one in December 2014, both of which are also still alive. They must feed on something.
But I've also had nerites which died in a few weeks or months after purchase.

I didn't use too boil mine when I had apple snails, I just used to put it in tank and they are it...

I'm guessing that needs to be done then for Nerites?
I had never had nerites before these, and essjay (IIRC) recommended them, so i got a couple. I started feeding the occasional slice of blanched cucumber following the advice on here, and they wolf it down! I don't offer it too often, however, otherwise they get complacent about working for a living and just feast on cucumber, and the tank gets covered with algae.

They are hippy lazy!

Last edited:
I'm getting some Japanese Trapdoor Snails when i've got my tank stable.

They bread, but apparently not that often.

I'm getting some Japanese Trapdoor Snails when i've got my tank stable.

They bread, but apparently not that often.
Trapdoor snails!

They sound exciting

<thinks back to children's BBC programme "Trapdoor" with Boney the Skull, Berk the Blue Thing, Drutt the Spider and The Thing Upstairs>

<starts humming the theme tune "Don't you open that trapdoor, you're a fool if you dare! Stay away from that trapdoor, 'cause there's something down there...">

Trapdoor snails!

They sound exciting

<thinks back to children's BBC programme "Trapdoor" with Boney the Skull, Berk the Blue Thing, Drutt the Spider and The Thing Upstairs>

<starts humming the theme tune "Don't you open that trapdoor, you're a fool if you dare! Stay away from that trapdoor, 'cause there's something down there...">
Man, I loved Trapdoor. That song is engraved into my brain, such a classic! "Berk! BERK!"

Man, I loved Trapdoor. That song is engraved into my brain, such a classic! "Berk! BERK!"
It was great, wasn't it!

I was trying to remember the rest of the theme song "Creepy crawley slimey things that stick onto your skin. Something-something tentacles that try to pull you in . . .", but it's lost . . . my little grey cells are pickled in gin, I think. :lol:

It was great, wasn't it!

I was trying to remember the rest of the theme song "Creepy crawley slimey things that stick onto your skin. Something-something tentacles that try to pull you in . . .", but it's lost . . . my little grey cells are pickled in gin, I think. :lol:
The song has been playing in my head since I saw your comment, thank you for the earworm :p
The main bit that plays over and over is "Don't you open that trapdoor! 'Cos there's something down there.. *80s music" My memory is terrible and it was a long time ago, so the rest of the words eluded me too, had to look it up to refresh my memory :D I'd forgotten just how 80s it sounded, but it's still awesome!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back