I think I hate snails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
You must be doing something truly horrendous :rofl:
Mine have survived malachite green and copper sulphate (at the same time), ammonia at 8ppm for a week (no fish in the tank I wanted to see what would happen), being dunked in a bucket of scalding water (as hot as the tap goes, not boiling) and a bucket overnight in sub zero temps. Most but not all of the water froze.
Yeah im not sure, i thought maybe i had copper residue or something in the tank but all my other snails are fine and doing well and breeding. But MTS for whatever reason keep dying. Ill probably try again but right now im not in a rush. My tank and plants are all healthy and thriving so why fix it if it aint broke?

I have to put my hand up to vote that I like snails, pond snails, MTS, ramshorns and assassin snails Iā€™ve kept them all in all my tanks over the years.

Snails are mostly a natural addition to any tank, they give the benefit of cleaning algae off the glass, once I had a 3 foot planted tank without snails side by side with a 2.5 foot planted tank with snails, the 2.5 was way cleaner than the 3 foot, honestly I spent ages cleaning algae on tank glass on the 3 foot until I decided to add a handful of MTS and pond snails and hey presto, within a week or so, nice clear glass with minimal effort! ;)

Also as already mentioned, MTS are great for substrate, I call them the gardeners of the fish planted tanks, turns over the soil, get rid of potentially bad AOB air pockets, and eat leftover foods and plant debris and in turn over time creates mulm in the substrate which is great for plants.
If you kept assassins with other snails then you dont really like snails No?;)

If you kept assassins with other snails then you dont really like snails No?;)

Hah, sneaky!:lol:

Just to clear it up, I like snails and thatā€™s why I got assassins, basically got them when was a newbie to the hobby to keep pond snails numbers under control.

But then I researched more into assassin snails and found that they are truly remarkable creatures. Well worth researching assassin snails if you have a spare moment.

I stand by what I said earlier, I will continue to add whatever snails I can to my tanks in future as believe they have more benefits than cons to most fish tanks :good:
(donā€™t have a tank at them moment as stopped when moved house a while ago but plan to have a tank or two running again soon!;))

Hah, sneaky!:lol:

Just to clear it up, I like snails and thatā€™s why I got assassins, basically got them when was a newbie to the hobby to keep pond snails numbers under control.

But then I researched more into assassin snails and found that they are truly remarkable creatures. Well worth researching assassin snails if you have a spare moment.

I stand by what I said earlier, I will continue to add whatever snails I can to my tanks in future as believe they have more benefits than cons to most fish tanks :good:
(donā€™t have a tank at them moment as stopped when moved house a while ago but plan to have a tank or two running again soon!;))
I hate pond snails( bladder snails) which is why i keep Ramshorn instead and nerites. They usually out compete those bladder snails for food. I actually had a little one come on a plant the other day. I immediately took it out and gave it a nice home in my toilet:)
All other snail i like. They have a lot of different snails in the hobby now but i dont know that i can spend 10$ on a snail. The rams i get for free and the MTS the olive nerites are like 2 bucks and those snails all provide a useful service to my tank where as assassin snails all they do is kill other snails and dont eat algae. Theyre more useless to me than a bladder snail that at least eat algae.

I had couple of snails but they recently died of some reason. I think they were pest snails.

Tbh I think itā€™s the MS I am not a fan of anymore. I was looking in the tank when lights were out and could see my MTS population had minimised a lot from the huge cull. The MS do nothing really for me beneficial wise. All they do is breed, eat, poop, make a mess and breed more.

Tbh I think itā€™s the MS I am not a fan of anymore. I was looking in the tank when lights were out and could see my MTS population had minimised a lot from the huge cull. The MS do nothing really for me beneficial wise. All they do is breed, eat, poop, make a mess and breed more.
A bit like people, then? :lol:

If you have live plants they keep the substrate aerated which is beneficial for delivering oxygen to plant roots.

Quick question for all you snail haters and lovers. I put 2x Zebra Nerite Snails in my tank yesterday, they was both moving around but today only one snail is moving. The 2nd one is has been in same place on glass all day, is it dead?

If it's on the glass it shouldn't be dead. But not moving on the substrate is a different matter.
The way to check if a snail is dead it to lift it out of the tank and sniff it. Dead snails smell appalling :sick: If it's on the glass don't pull it off or you could damage it, they should be gently wriggled till they let go.

If it's on the glass it shouldn't be dead. But not moving on the substrate is a different matter.
The way to check if a snail is dead it to lift it out of the tank and sniff it. Dead snails smell appalling :sick: If it's on the glass don't pull it off or you could damage it, they should be gently wriggled till they let go.

I couldn't get it too come off without putting to much force on it, but since I touched it, it's now moved about.

Not used to them :/ I've always had apple snails but they are now banned in the UK. Used to love putting cucumber in the tank and watching them eat it.

I couldn't get it too come off without putting to much force on it, but since I touched it, it's now moved about.

Not used to them :/ I've always had apple snails but they are now banned in the UK. Used to love putting cucumber in the tank and watching them eat it.
Take my advice - block up any tiny hole or gap between the tank and the lid etc, because I have found from experience that Nerites are slippery little Houdinis and will be out of the tank and legging it across the carpet first chance they get!

Nerites are cool, I only ever had two of them in my tank in the past, think one was a zebra and the other was horned nerite, cute.

Found that they can be hard to feed as they predominately only eat algae off tank glass, mine did not touch the algae wafers I provided, think were wild caught perhaps as they soon died after, likely due to starvation as does not take very long for two merited to scrape clean the tank glass of algae despite my efforts to try and cultivate more algae for them :X

So hopefully now there are more tank bred nerites that are being sold which will feed off algae wafers or suchlike.

If nerites that are sold from stores now do eat algae wafers then itā€™s likely I will get more nerites one day ;)

But for now, will wait to hear from other keepers if their nerites do eat algae wafers or similar ^_^

Last edited:
I like my nerites snails and my one ramshorn snail but I only tolerate the pond snails if they do not get out of control. When they do I move them to my RES turtle tank. I plan on picking up a few MTS for my tetra tank now that I have sand in it.

Most reactions

Back