The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I have a 5 gallon tank that has been set up and fully cycled for about a month. I put a betta in the tank about 3 weeks ago, and he is the only fish in the tank.
Algae is growing all over the place though, so I wanted to get something to eat it. After reading a little about what would fit into such a small tank, I came to the conclusion that my only option would be a snail. I have a few questions though before I decide on whether or not I will get a snail.

• I read that you have to give snails calcium. How do I give it to them and how often?
  • If I do get a snail, I would get a nerite. Is there a certain variety that would suit my tank better than the others?
  • Can a snail carry any diseases or parasites that my betta could get?
  • Will a snail (specifically a nerite snail) eat marimo moss balls?
  • Would a snail add too much waste into my tank? I heard they poop a lot. Would this cause a problem?
  • I read snails need clean water. How clean does the water have to be? Under 10ppm of nitrates?
  • When there is no more algae in the tank, what can I feed the snail? Will it eat zucchini?
  • I heard females lay eggs all over the place. Just how bad is their egg laying?
  • Is there a definite way to tell if the snail is male or female?
Sorry, I know this is a lot. I just want to make sure I know as much as I can before I make my decision, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

You can use cuttle bone like they use in bird cages. Just break some water from. I use Dollar Tree Tums. They love the fruit flavor and so cheap. About 1/2 tab a week. They have very little bio-load to worry about. Nothing will clean all of the algae though. That unfortunately, is our jobs to do. Snails will leave plants alone if well fed. They love cucumbers!

Thank you for your reply. Don't tums dissolve in water? And are tums safe for fish? Also, do you know anything about diseases or parasites a snail can carry that a fish could get?

There are some but highly unlikely regarding diseases. You may want to Google that information. Tums do slowly dissolve in water but mine eat them before they do. If they do dissolve then the calcium is in the water. I have had no problems with Tums. My bff who is an aquatic researcher for several universities told me about them. I also feed Ken’s Veggie Sticks which are high in calcium. You can order them on line. A bag lasts quite a while.

Ok, thanks!

and, if you add a tums to your tank, as a bonus, you can be sure your snail won't get acid indigestion! :)

My water is about 175 ppm... ph around 7.4... will my snail be ok without adding tums.. er I mean calcium

Unless he eats some jalapeños, he should be fine.

Unless he eats some jalapeños, he should be fine.
They are wimpy chillis and nothing compared to the new ones. Guinness world record for hot chillis is now held by the Carolina Reaper that has a 15/10 scale rating. Jalapenos only rate about 6/10. How do you get 15/10 is my question.

Talking of chillis, I gave a Black Pearl chilli plant to a friend and his dog use to eat the chillis. They were pretty hot too. My brother in law use to brag about eating hot chillis so I let him lose in my backyard. He started with the mild ones and got to the black pearls, then started sweating profusely. :)

As for the Carolina Reaper, you need to wear gloves when handling them or they burn your skin. And some weirdos in the USA mix it with icecream.

They are wimpy chillis and nothing compared to the new ones. Guinness world record for hot chillis is now held by the Carolina Reaper that has a 15/10 scale rating. Jalapenos only rate about 6/10. How do you get 15/10 is my question.

Talking of chillis, I gave a Black Pearl chilli plant to a friend and his dog use to eat the chillis. They were pretty hot too. My brother in law use to brag about eating hot chillis so I let him lose in my backyard. He started with the mild ones and got to the black pearls, then started sweating profusely. :)

As for the Carolina Reaper, you need to wear gloves when handling them or they burn your skin. And some weirdos in the USA mix it with icecream.
I love Blue Bell ice cream but no reapers on them. How about ghost peppers?

Ghost peppers can kill you if you eat too many. They still sell ghost pepper chips though. Never tried one, and quite honestly, I don't think I want to. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back