I need help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think my tank when like that because I put 2 new fish and 2 new plants in yesterday and a new filter in today

Like I said, lets fix the problem. But yes you can sell.

When should I do a Water change because it's a week on Monday when I done my last one and I and geting gravel and a testing kit on Tuesday then then let my 18l tank do its cycle then add my 21 baby guppies in but I am selling 19 of them and keeping 2 of them

When should I do a Water change because it's a week on Monday when I done my last one and I and geting gravel and a testing kit on Tuesday then then let my 18l tank do its cycle then add my 21 baby guppies in but I am selling 19 of them and keeping 2 of them
Do a water change ASAP It can be everyday a week, I do 10% water changes everyday I would recommend that until your water clears up, do a 75% ASAP

But there looks like there canny bit or room left in the tank and I have been a fish keeper for about 1 month and 1 week so I a new to this

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    812 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    709.8 KB · Views: 96
hard to read your messages, someone else should step in soon.

Have you seen the picture the over head view of the tank looks clean does it

Translation for those who do not live in North East England - "a canny bit of room left" = there is a good amount of space left in the tank.

It is not about filling the tank with fish but of having the amount of fish that are 'happy' in the tank. I have a tank that was described as 32 litres by the manufacturer but hold only 26 litres water. It contains 1 male betta and 1 nerite snail. It is fully stocked because male bettas prefer to live alone.

Of the fish you have -
Cherry barbs need a tank that is 60 cm long x 30 cm wide. No 30 litre tank is this big.
Checkered barbs need a tank 70 cm long x 30 cm wide.
Bristlenoses need a tank 60 cm long x 30 cm wide.

As you can see, these fish all need a bigger tank than you have. They need to be rehomed.

Cories need to be in a group of at least 6, but only the dwarf species are suitable for a tank the size of yours. If your cory is not one of the dwarf species, you need to rehome it rather than get more.

Guppies are suitable for 30 litre tanks, but only males. As you already know, females have babies. Lots of babies. Very few shops will take them off you because they are so cheap from their wholesaler. You need to remove all the female guppies and babies (because some of them will be females) and leave around 6 to 8 male guppies. The tank with then be fully stocked.

I noticed you aid you will get a test kit from Wilkinsons. They only sell strip tests which do not test for ammonia, and you ned to be able to test for ammonia. You need a test kit with bottles and test tubes. You can get them on-line or from fish shops.
All a 'clean tank' means is that you have removed all the fish poo and uneaten food from the bottom. Terrible water looks clean. You can't see the poisons like ammonia and nitrite dissolved in it. This is why you need a test kit, but not the strip kind.

And finally, ignore what the fish shop says. The man at the shop may have been keeping fish for 30 years but is he keeping them properly or just going by the way things were done 30 years ago? Fish keeping has changed a lot in the 20 years I've kept fish, and I am learning something new every day.
Telling you to run your new filter for a couple of days then remove the old one is bad advice. You should either run both for at least 4 weeks or move the media from the old one to the new one.
And saying you can have 30 to 40 fish in there is the biggest lot of rubbish I've heard in a long time. It isn't even big enough for 30 baby guppies.

Translation for those who do not live in North East England - "a canny bit of room left" = there is a good amount of space left in the tank.

It is not about filling the tank with fish but of having the amount of fish that are 'happy' in the tank. I have a tank that was described as 32 litres by the manufacturer but hold only 26 litres water. It contains 1 male betta and 1 nerite snail. It is fully stocked because male bettas prefer to live alone.

Of the fish you have -
Cherry barbs need a tank that is 60 cm long x 30 cm wide. No 30 litre tank is this big.

As you can see, these fish all need a bigger tank than you have. They need to be rehomed.

Cories need to be in a group of at least 6, but only the dwarf species are suitable for a tank the size of yours. If your cory is not one of the dwarf species, you need to rehome it rather than get more.

Guppies are suitable for 30 litre tanks, but only males. As you already know, females have babies. Lots of babies. Very few shops will take them off you because they are so cheap from their wholesaler. You need to remove all the female guppies and babies (because some of them will be females) and leave around 6 to 8 male guppies. The tank with then be fully stocked.

I noticed you aid you will get a test kit from Wilkinsons. They only sell strip tests which do not test for ammonia, and you ned to be able to test for ammonia. You need a test kit with bottles and test tubes. You can get them on-line or from fish shops.
All a 'clean tank' means is that you have removed all the fish poo and uneaten food from the bottom. Terrible water looks clean. You can't see the poisons like ammonia and nitrite dissolved in it. This is why you need a test kit, but not the strip kind.

And finally, ignore what the fish shop says. The man at the shop may have been keeping fish for 30 years but is he keeping them properly or just going by the way things were done 30 years ago? Fish keeping has changed a lot in the 20 years I've kept fish, and I am learning something new every day.
Telling you to run your new filter for a couple of days then remove the old one is bad advice. You should either run both for at least 4 weeks or move the media from the old one to the new one.
And saying you can have 30 to 40 fish in there is the biggest lot of rubbish I've heard in a long time. It isn't even big enough for 30 baby guppies.

Of the fish you have -

thanks for the help I will get a testing kit from eBay or from my pet shop but

So what should I do take my old filter out and ues just the fluval u1 in the tank

The Fluval U1 just has a sponge inside unlike its big brothers which have several types of media. What does the old filter have inside? The best way to upgrade filters is to remove some of the new filter media to make room for the media from the old filter. Since the U1 has just the one sponge you would need to cut some off the sponge, just enough to fit the media from the old filter into the U1.

Since you have had the tank for only a month and a bit you are probably still cycling it so every bit of old media is worth saving.

The Fluval U1 just has a sponge inside unlike its big brothers which have several types of media. What does the old filter have inside? The best way to upgrade filters is to remove some of the new filter media to make room for the media from the old filter. Since the U1 has just the one sponge you would need to cut some off the sponge, just enough to fit the media from the old filter into the U1.

Since you have had the tank for only a month and a bit you are probably still cycling it so every bit of old media is worth saving.
I have a u1 in my shrimp tank. I found there was quite a large circular hole down the middle of the sponge so put some media in an organza bag and popped it in there.
It cycled nicely and I've had no problems with it since

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back