I Need Help

biokid101

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Okay as u may know i have a female spanish water dog and she is perfectly healthy and about a year abd 5 months..she had her first "period" or however u wanna call it in september so it ahud be coming again soon..today i was playing with her and then i got tired and sat down..she came up to me rlly hyper and started jumpig on me and scratching me like she usually does for me to play with her..but i was tired so i was using my leg to kinda nudge her sorta and then sumthing amazing happened..my leg was out and (remember shes female) and ahe wraped her front legs around mine and started..HUMPING!!! Shes a girlll!! Whyd she do thatt!! She had her rear pointing up ..i pulled her away and i called my brother to see and she did it again to me so i have a witness.. I think shes doing that because shes gonna get her menstraul cycle soon..but just to make surr i came herr..plzzzz helpp me i gotta know.. Our stray dog population count in our city is going up and r around here often..this is the first time shes acted this way.........thank u

Well, female dogs don't have 'menstrual cycles' in the same way as humans for a start! She's humping your leg because she's coming into 'season' or 'heat' and wants to mate. A lot of female animals get a bit confused about who is supposed to do what. I once had a female rabbit that humped the dogs if they were lying down! If you think having your dog humping your leg is weird, you should see a rabbit trying to mate with a German shepherd!!!

Anyway, your dog will be in season soon by the sounds of it; so you MUST keep her away from all male dogs or she WILL get pregnant. You might not even be able to take her out for walks if there are lots of stray dogs about; they'll be able to smell her from miles away. Make sure your garden or yard is dog proof as you may have to exercise her out there until she's not in heat anymore and you don't want her jumping out or male dogs jumping in. The best thing to do really would be to get her spayed (neutered) as then she won't ever be able to have puppies and you won't have to go through all this worry every 6 months.

Best of luck!

It can also be a sign of dominance. When I'm play fighting with my male German Shepherd, our much smaller shepherd mix ***** will try to mount him, as a way to show that we're higher ranking than him. When we first got the male GS when he was much younger, he tried to mount me even though he was much too young to want to breed, and it was just his way of figuring out how much he could get away with. He was put in his place and hasn't done it since :p

Omgoshh thank u so much! She didnt do this last time she was in season..we werent that worried last time cause we kept her inside most of the time..a rabbit and a german shepard?!!!!! Jeez poor rabbit! Lol but tthanks for that i shall warn my mom.she seems to be the only one worried( about not getting blood on her carpet xD) thx for the stories too!:) she just gets over excited alott its in her breed

Also if you have a lot of stray/ roaming dogs in your area try to make sure you don't go out in the neighbourhood smelling of the females "season" years ago when we lived in a town the vet only visited every 3 months or so our young female came in season and my sister nearly got attacked by some roaming male dogs that had caught the scent. Best tip if you can take the dog in a car a few Km/ miles away from your home for her excercise away from the yard, that way the dogs should be less attracted to your yard if your female is kept indoors, and keep her on lead the entire time your out. And the myth of let them have one litter is just that a myth, they can't miss what they haven't had! Almost all my dogs have been spayed females all desexed at 6mths of age and they have never been a problem and you don't get the hassles of an unplanned pregnancy and what to do with the pups.

Agreed it can definitely be a dominance thing, especially if they seem to get the wrong end. They aint so dim they don't know which end is which, they're deliberately humping head end because it's a way of saying "I'm higher up in the heirarchy than you are and I'm making sure you don't forget it!"

If she's about to come into season though, then she's probably just horny! :hey: :lol: ARe you planning on breeding her? If not it's definitely worth getting her spayed. Aside from the fact that she won't be uncomfortable twice a year, you wont have blood drops on your mums carpet and every male dog for miles around killing themselves to get to her!

well my parents say we are going to breed her i just dont know when...they never talked about getting her spayed tho.they think im responsible enough to make sure she doesnt get "raped" lol :p but shes like deathly afraid of other dogs so im not sure she wud let any get near her..plus ill be with her..wud she ever let any dog get near her even if she is afraid?

It's a sign of dominance, plain and simple. My female golden retriever has been spayed for years. and she still tries to hump various things. We just rescued her and we're still trying to break her of her dominant tendencies.

And, if the drive is strong enough she'll let other dogs get near her. But it may not be a good thing if she's that afraid of other dogs. It sounds to me like you need to spend a lot of time with her, socializing her with other dogs and letting her know YOU'RE the pack leader, not her.

weve tried and tried to get her used to other dogs..but in our neighborhood their isnt that many house dogs ..but my stepdads sister has 3 dogs and we go over their house alot and she does not like them at all..she doesnt trust me out of her sight becasue shes extrememely jelous

Most reactions

Back