I need help with my betta.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Bettas are surface dwelling fish they do not need or want mini Terra cotta pots to hide in, What they want and need is lots of live plants including floating ones, when it comes to Bettas and plants there is no such thing as too many plants.
Well I've had more then one betta who very much enjoyed the mini pots. As for live plants yes they are ideal, but not everyone does well keeping them alive and if the start to die then they pollute the water. Which is why I mentioned moss balls and silk plants

one of the easiest plants to grow is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris species). It is a floating plant but also does well when planted in the gravel. It does not need much light or fertiliser but will enjoy it if provided.

If you don't have a light on your tank you can see what the local hardware store has in the way of LED spotlights. There are relatively cheap and can provide ample light for Water Sprite and lots of other plants. And LED lights are pretty cheap to run and they don't need the globes replaced. :)

Live plants are cheap and in a Betta tank you use low light plants like annubias, crypts, vals, blue stricta, riccia and water sprite.

This is a natural way for a betta to sleep
243p6ip.jpg

A floating log also works well.
F5xHC56.jpg

Images are of my fish.

Heres a Betta shot
xUjl973.jpg

Just for the record I use pea gravel Seachem flourish about once a month if I remember, I never vacuum the substrate and I have lots of snails.

Last edited:
I reckon he looks better in the log, an old distinguished male betta with his white moustache :)

My betta was swimming more today and still went ubder the bridge, he ia doing better. I just cant get him to eat.

one of the easiest plants to grow is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris species). It is a floating plant but also does well when planted in the gravel. It does not need much light or fertiliser but will enjoy it if provided.

If you don't have a light on your tank you can see what the local hardware store has in the way of LED spotlights. There are relatively cheap and can provide ample light for Water Sprite and lots of other plants. And LED lights are pretty cheap to run and they don't need the globes replaced. :)
Yea i just got another cover for his 10gal tabk. It was broke when I got it new.

Heres a Betta shot
xUjl973.jpg

Just for the record I use pea gravel Seachem flourish about once a month if I remember, I never vacuum the substrate and I have lots of snails.
I only have 2
Heres a Betta shot
xUjl973.jpg

I have white substrate with some brown pea and black mixed in. I have 2 snails in each of my 10 gal. I have to vacuum the tanks considering that one of the fish won't eat.

Don't worry he will eat.

Gandalf huh? Well his fins do look like a wizards robes.
fl9AIAF.jpg

In nature bettas are not the pretty colors that we breed them to be. Which gives them a natural camouflage, they still like to have that.
Also I think the original problem got sidetracked. Healthy fish should eat, and spitting out food can often indicate disease. Since he was recently aquired he may very well be sick (petsmart/petco are not the most ethical at how they care for their livestock). When he is out do his fins look clamped down? Have you seen any holes in his fins? Is his coloring dull? Any of these signs would indicate he is ill.
Sidenote and i apologize if it's already been stated, but do you have a heater in your tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back