I need a new filter for my 90Litre (24 gallon) aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

SLJ0903

Reaction score
As I use sand, the amount of fish waste left on top looks awful. My filter is doing nothing about it. It came with the tank when I bought it. Will attach photos

I just need some ideas of what filter I could use that would continuously suck up waste from the bottom, not leaving it there.
Iā€™ve been reading about the Fluval U2 and the Aquael turbo. Are these any good?

Any input would be great.
If anyone mentions that itā€™s overcrowded, I will be moving gouramis and rams to bigger tank shortly, so this will be a guppy only tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
Do you have a sponge on the intake of the power head in the tank?
If not, put a round sponge (from an internal power filter) on the intake strainer of your power head.

Do you have a sponge on the intake of the power head in the tank?
If not, put a round sponge (from an internal power filter) on the intake strainer of your power head.

I donā€™t have a sponge there no, but the filter works as taking water from the ā€˜strainerā€™ as you said and moves through these tubes and into the sponges and back out through those holes. Iā€™ve been having a lot of problems with noise and efficiency so Iā€™d rather just get a new one.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Put a sponge on the intake or get an AquaClear 50 HOB (hang on back) style filter and have a sponge on the intake of that.

It is the fishkeeper's job to remove the stuff off the bottom of the tank. No filter will do that unless the water flow is so strong the fish won't be able to swim properly. None of the fish in your photos will appreciate a strong flow.

As I use sand, the amount of fish waste left on top looks awful. My filter is doing nothing about it. It came with the tank when I bought it. Will attach photos

I just need some ideas of what filter I could use that would continuously suck up waste from the bottom, not leaving it there.
Iā€™ve been reading about the Fluval U2 and the Aquael turbo. Are these any good?

Any input would be great.
If anyone mentions that itā€™s overcrowded, I will be moving gouramis and rams to bigger tank shortly, so this will be a guppy only tank.

I think Colin misunderstood your question. He is giving you idea on how to prevent the fish waste from going into your filter by putting a sponge over the intake.

Actually there isn't any filter that can suck the waste from the bottom of your tank.
If the filter can suck waste from the bottom, it will also suck all your sand into the filter and will damage the impeller.
Also, don't put the filter's intake too close to the bottom, else it will suck the sand into your filter and your filter will damage due to the sand stuck in the impeller.

The only way to remove waste on your sand is to siphon them out whenever you are doing water change.
Siphon them gently as you don't want to suck out too much sand at the same time.

The only way if you don't want them to look too awful is by using darker colour sand.
Black or grey sand is ok but I prefer grey because the black sand may cause your tank to look too dark and it's not very nice.
Or you can use a mix of grey and lighter colour sand like brown/yellow/orange or any combination of darker and lighter sand will be ok.
I think a mix of colours will be the best and look more natural like the river.
Currently, you are having white sand which is contrast to the fish waste and will look very awful.

Here are some videos for your ideas but choose carefully.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back