I Lowered My Ph From 8 To 7 Using Ph Down

rust81

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
262
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London, UK
Does anyone know why this is? I have just put 2 angels in my tank and i wanted the pH to be 7 for them. However, testing the pH this afternoon, i can see that the levels have gone back up to 8.
 
Just leave it at 8 the angels will be OK with that. they will be better at a constant 8 than an up and down Ph.

Ph guidelines are overplayed a lot and really within reason a stable Ph is best.

If you want to make them feel at home you would be making the water black as well and planting it with SA plants only etc.

So just leave the Ph as is and let them adapt to it.

Andy
 
To lower pH I think its recommended to use peat or bogwood as this has a longer term effect, though like Super said a stable pH is better.
 
I have always used a product by Aquarium Pharm (API) called "Proper pH 7.0"... This will actualy make your ph Stable for upto a month or so.
 
i think it's best to use as little chemicals as possible. as mentioned above, a stable pH is more important than one that's constantly varying. if you feel that you have to lower the pH, it's best to do it the natural way and use a nice piece of driftwood.
 
Hardness stabilizes pH. Generally, water with a higher pH also has higher hardness values. When you lower the pH, the hardness of your water will bring it back up.

Before you try to adjust pH you have to know gh, kh, and TDS. If you don't know these values, you are probably going to do more harm than good by adjusting your pH.

To properly adjust pH you should start with ro water, unless you are blessed with extremely soft water. This way you are starting with a blank slate, and can reconstitute the water to whatever parameters you wish.

Your angels will do fine in a stable pH of 8.0, I breed them in hard water with a pH of 7.7.
 
I use Ro water mixed with a bit of tapwater - I get a 25l drumful from my lfs and it does me 2 water changes. 3 pieces of bogwood in my tank still gave me a reading of 8.
 
Thanks all for the useful information and help. The 2 angels were dead this morning when i got home. I guess the pH swing has taken them out as the is no ammonia etc... Lesson learned.....dont mess with the pH!!! I plan on getting an RO unit tomorrow as i think i have a general water quality problem anyway!
 
I have always used a product by Aquarium Pharm (API) called "Proper pH 7.0"... This will actualy make your ph Stable for upto a month or so.

only problem with this product is that it has phosphate in it i think.

Yes it does, however my tap water already has phosphates that are higher than 5.0 (the max my test kit can go) so i figured a little more wont hurt anything
 
Like people have said already, Dont use any of these chemicals...like supercoley1 said, a stable pH is better than a pH you will get from using these products. In my line of work I use chemicals that require a set pH, I achieve this by using various concentrations of acid and base to get to the required pH level...but one thing to remember here is that my chemicals dont have fish pooing and organisms living in there. These will definately effect a pH in a tank where the environment is capable of constant change. Your best off keeping things at an balanced state and just ignoring what pH you have (so long as it stays the same!!) and your fish will get used to it. It will save you money, fish and stress!!!

I hope that helps ya that bit more! :)

One rule in fishkeeping, less is more! :)

The less you put in the better you will be in the long run.
 
are those live plants or fake in your tank? your tank is really clean for the amount of phosphates you have in your water.

I have fake plants...

Yeah, my phosphates are very in my tap water for some reason, and that picture in my profile was taken shortly after setting up the aquarium... my water is still clear, but not quite as clear as in that pic.
 
are those live plants or fake in your tank? your tank is really clean for the amount of phosphates you have in your water.

Why would Phosphates affect the cleanliness of the tank? It has been long proven that phosphates do not cause algae!!

(The tanks you see below have phosphates added to excess and I think you'll agree they are clean)

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top