I Just Can't Find A Female Blue Ram!

Thomas 2507

Fishaholic
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
528
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Okay, so I bought two blue rams about a month ago. I was told upon purchase that one was a female and one was a male. They are both males! I left one in my 40l and put the other in my 80l because I was told that they would fight. I tried putting them together again but they chased each other, so decided against it.

I've looked everywhere for a female blue ram. I nearly bought a couple of gold rams today but they guy in Maidenhead wasn't even sure if there was a female in the tank so what chance do I stand? :( I bought two anyway that he thought were a male and female. He said gold and blue rams can pair. I put them in the 80l with one of the blue rams and the blue ram is chasing them a little. They are a bit smaller than the blue ram. I can't tell if the gold rams are male or female, to be honest I don't care either way because I just want a definate female blue ram.

So... Does anyone know where I can find a definate female blue ram? Or does anyone have one that they could send me or that I could pick up locally?

Cheers :)
 
Go to a shop and look really carefully at the rams... not all females have a red belly but if you find one with a red belly then it's definitely female. The red is not like on a female krib or anything it's quite subtle but you'll know when you see it.
 
Yeah, I've been trying to do that for hours but no use... One of them is distinctly more yellow than the other and has more blue spots on its finnage, so that is most probably a male. The other is much less yellow and has an ever-so-slight pink tint at the bottom of it's belly and hardly any blue spots so that could be a female. I'm just not sure.

Does this call for photos? :P
 
Maybe you have 2 boys then, I meant look in the LFS there's bound to be at least 1 fish with a pink belly, buy that one and then you know you've got a girl! Try pics but i'd suggest posting them in the new world cichlid section you might get a better response.
 
Yeah, I'll take some tomorrow because they're in hiding at the moment, still settling in. I just took the blue ram that was in with them out and put him in another tank because he was giving them some bother.

I have a good feeling about the gold rams... Don't know why! Let's see what happens.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top