I have my fish... now what?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

After looking at pictures, I instantly fell in love with Green Neon Tetras, Ruby Tetras, and Clown Killifish.

I have a question about the clown killifish though. How many would I need to get? Are these type of fish aggressive?

I will call my LFS sometime today or tomorrow, and see how much these fish would cost. I know they would have to order them, as I have never seen them carry them.
Green neons don’t have the same parameter needs as regular neons. All of mine died but 2 because if the chemistry.

I am afraid your shrimps will become expensive snacks for the Rams.

When you keep shrimps, you have very few choices left...Only small fish..
However, if you can move the shrimps to another tank just solely for shrimps, then you will have more choices.

You can consider the Apistogramma species (Cacatuidoes, Bitaenita, Borelli, Trifasciata, etc) if you remove the shrimps.
Among the Apistogramma, Borelli is the most peaceful.
Other South American Dwarf Cichlids such as Dicrossus Filamentosus are also ok.
You can easily have 2-3 of them if your tank is a 3 feet tank.
A few/group of Dicrossus Filamentosus will be nice.
Taeniacara Candidi is also very nice.
By the way, take note that I only recommend beautiful or interesting fish to you. LOL

Last edited:
It seems I have a hard choice....

I may move my cherries over to my 20g long and my 10g tank. The betta in the 10g is chill with shrimp.

I just really want a ram. I need to give to get. :)

Boooooo. Don’t like this Apistogramma-shrimp news as I’ve dreams of maybe getting a pair Apistogramma Hongsloi In a bigger tank in a year or so if MrsLurch is willing. Which seems possible as she cant wait for our first fish once the silent cycle looks good. In fact she’s pricing up a 10g and a handful of endlers for her home office already.

Boooooo. Don’t like this Apistogramma-shrimp news as I’ve dreams of maybe getting a pair Apistogramma Hongsloi In a bigger tank in a year or so if MrsLurch is willing. Which seems possible as she cant wait for our first fish once the silent cycle looks good. In fact she’s pricing up a 10g and a handful of endlers for her home office already.
Me too, I was disappointed at the news. :(

The Apistogrammas breeders often feed them with brine shrimps.
So, if they see shrimplets, they will most likely eat them.

If you can keep a group of Dicrossus Filamentosus (probably 5-6), that will be interesting.
Oh no, after recommending you this fish, I feel like buying this fish. I saw a nearby LFS selling them for SGD6 each...I have never seen such a cheap price for this species. Please also read the article from the website below.

Taeniacara Candidi has very beautiful tail.

Last edited:

I have kept many species of Apistogrammas but not the Hongsloi.

I think Cacatuoides is still the most widely available and the most flashy Apistogrammas.
I like both the Cacatuoides Orange Flash and the Triple Red. Both are beautiful.

Some species of Apistogrammas will cost $100 + which I won't recommend as they are too expensive.

Borelli is called the umbrella fish with its fins that look like an umbrella.
I guess probably only Borelli is safe to be kept with shrimps.(but no guarantee)

Bitaenita also has beautiful tail.

Trifasciata has spiky fins which are beautiful.

Agassizii is also very beautiful if you can get a good quality one and there are a few variations in its colours. There are Super/double red, Fire red, etc.

By the way, the videos here showed all very beautiful Apistogrammas but the actual one will depend on the quality of the fish that you get. Or you may have to wait until they grow bigger to show their beautiful fins.
They may not be necessarily so beautiful.
And usually only the males are beautoful.
The females are not beautiful except for Apistogramma Panduro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMOy2v7Ijc4

Last edited:
I will call my LFS today, and see if they have one. (The Bolivian Ram)

Ok, sort of a huge change of mind for me...

I have decided to get more Neon Tetras. (Not a ram our gouramis) That being said, I'm not sure how I will be able to get them, as my dad is out of a job. (We have to move soon, which means I will have to see my fish tanks/fish. :()

@Byron, if/when I get them, how many more could I safely get? (I was thinking 10ish more?)

I will call my LFS today, and see if they have one. (The Bolivian Ram)
I have a bolivian Ram with my neons. I dont have shrimp though.
Bolivians are great because they dont need to be in groups or pairs as in the wild they are generally a solitaire fish except when breeding.
If not going with RAM other tera species do well with neons like, glo light, black neon, von rio tetra penguin tetra, emperor tetra, and if your water was softer rummy nose but 9dgh might be a bit hard for them.
Dwarf pencil fish are cool and in the wild are often seen in the same tributaries with neons.

rummy nose
@Byron said my tank isn't big enough for rummy noses... bummer. :(

I will look into emperor tetras though! Love the look of them.

(One of the main reasons was my shrimp. Lobe them to much to see them made into a quick snack. Also, if I do get more neons, how many more could I safely get?)

Sorry to hear thar your dad is out of job.
The Covid 19 is really creating a worldwide reccessions and economic problems.

I think you might want to on hold any purchase at the moment until your dad has found a new job.

Sorry to hear thar your dad is out of job.
The Covid 19 is really creating a worldwide reccessions and economic problems.

I think you might want to on hold any purchase at the moment until your dad has found a new job.
But once/if he gets a new job, how many more neons could I get? (Or Ember Tetras or Emperor Tetras?)

Most reactions

Back